Floating Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a total of 5 batches of brine salt soap in July(all different recipes). After one month, I've noticed that this particular batch of soap seemed much lighter in weight compare to other batches. I thought it was odd...hmm..

Well, last night, I noticed a tiny sliver of soap floating on the water when I was taking a shower. Right away, I tested the full size bar to a bowl of water. Oh my, it floated on the water, and so did the rest of the batch!!!

I tested other batches of the brine salt soap, but all of them sunk to the bottom of the bowl.

This has something to do with the density but I don’t fully understand why this batch floats on the water and not other batches of brine salt soaps.

I think it’s pretty cool though. I wanted to share this amazing experience with you all :smile:!

Is there any scientific reason for my brine salt soap floating in water???

Oops, here are the pics!

IMG_4379.JPG

IMG_4378.JPG

are all the batches the same recipe ? every thing about them is the same , eg, same size mold and shape bars , same cure time before use ?

are all the batches the same recipe ? every thing about them is the same , eg, same size mold and shape bars , same cure time before use ?

No, all different recipes
Yes, same size mold
Yes, cut all same size
Yes, same cure time before use

Three different things about this particular batch are:

1. the water as % of oil weight - 33%
2. SF - 8%

3. oils:

20% CO
25% Palm
45% OO
5% Shea Butter
5% Castor

Salt - 25% of the water weight

Thanks for the link. Well, my floating soap was discovered by accident and I am wondering if I can duplicate this recipe and have the same result :wink: Probably not...

you should, somehow your soap developed buoyancy and it would be nice to put a lock on that, it could be a signature of your salt soaps . i am surprise by your low SF% , doesn't your skin get stripped of its natural oils?

you should, somehow your soap developed buoyancy and it would be nice to put a lock on that, it could be a signature of your salt soaps . i am surprise by your low SF% , doesn't your skin get stripped of its natural oils?

Oh really? I didn't notice it too much. My usual SF is 5% (salt bars have 18%) but since it's a salt brine soap, I increased it to 8%. When I tested this soap, my skin felt really soft, so I thought I should my SF to 8% in most of my recipes.

What's your usual SF %?

Oh really? I didn't notice it too much. My usual SF is 5% (salt bars have 18%) but since it's a salt brine soap, I increased it to 8%. When I tested this soap, my skin felt really soft, so I thought I should my SF to 8% in most of my recipes.

What's your usual SF %?

in regular soap i go anywhere from 6-8% SF , in salt soaps i SF at 17-18%. that being said i must say i never made a salt brine soap before [which i now noticed that is what you made ] so i do not know the laws involved in that. i have seen discussions on it , and i'm now learning through you :)

in regular soap i go anywhere from 6-8% SF , in salt soaps i SF at 17-18%. that being said i must say i never made a salt brine soap before [which i now noticed that is what you made ] so i do not know the laws involved in that. i have seen discussions on it , and i'm now learning through you :)

For the brine salt soap, I am really liking high SF. I even made the salt water shampoo bar too :) at 8% SF.

No, all different recipes
Yes, same size mold
Yes, cut all same size
Yes, same cure time before use

Three different things about this particular batch are:

1. the water as % of oil weight - 33%
2. SF - 8%

3. oils:

20% CO
25% Palm
45% OO
5% Shea Butter
5% Castor

Salt - 25% of the water weight
Did you use a beater instead of a stick blender? I have heard that beaters create air bubbles, I wanted to use one and get that effect but wasnt sure what to expect.

Back