First time question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going against the grain here - I HATE rebatching. And honestly, I don't recommend it for a new soaper who has only made one batch of soap. Unless you are flat broke and can't afford to make a new batch from scratch, I would toss this one. IMO, rebatching is for soapers at an "intermediate" skill level.

I agree, Dixie -- rebatching would not be the best choice for a super-clueless newbie.

On the other hand, the OP has us for guidance, the problem with the soap seems to be well defined, and the OP seems to be a pretty sensible person, so I don't think the risk is great. Also, for me the experience gained in rebatching has been really helpful in the long run.

But I do realize everyone's opinions vary on this issue.

I understand your point, Dixiedragon. And I thought 3 times before posting how to fix this batch. I hate rebatching worse than anyone. I will go to great lengths to avoid it(short of throwing out a batch). But, the few times I have actually had to taught me so very much that I hardly think I would be as confident at soaping as I am now without those learning experiences. (You don't think I knew how to figure out how to fix that batch without personal experience, right?) It really was the repairing of that first batch that made me dig deep and learn about the science of soaping, and made me feel like if I could fix that, then I could accomplish anything I cared to in soaping.

I agree with DeeAnna and Susie- so much can be learned, no matter how new one is to soaping. I figure if one has enough gumption in them to make CP soap, then they have plenty of enough gumption to rebatch, which is actually not that hard to do- just more of an annoyance, really. But if it will keep you from having to throw out a whole batch and ruining all the hard work you initially put into making it, it's worth it. Especially since some of the ingredients are not exactly cheap.

IrishLass :)

Back