Saponification vs Cure vs Drying

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Quick question on a subject that has bothered me for years. A long time ago I was involved in a discussion along the lines of this post's title. It centred around Castile soaps and leaving them to "mature", for lack of a better word for up to a year.

I recall that I did a little experiment back then and weighed some soaps I had made over time. I noted that I had used a recipe with about 30% water. At the end of about 6 weeks - this is all from a long time ago so I could get some of the numbers wrong - the bars were about 28% lighter than when they were cut. So, apparently most of the water was gone.

My question, what happens to the soap between 6 weeks and a year that improves it. I believe all saponification should have completed after a couple of days. I also believe the drying process loses all or most of the water over the normal 4 - 8 weeks. I've used Castile soaps that were a year old and some that were a couple of months old. I confess to being unable to tell the difference. I'd be very interested to hear other people's experience on this topic.

I remember that things got a little heated when last I was involved in this discussion so I need to say that I'm not interested in an argument. I am, however, very interested in being educated. I thank you for your patience.

I'll leave it to someone with links at hand to DeeAnna's clear explanations here and on her website, why drying is not all there is to curing or saponification. You could search here and find those while you wait.

But as far as telling the difference, I can say that a 100% coconut soap, superfatted at 25%, which others can use after 6-8 weeks, takes a year and a half to be mild enough for me to use.

1st : My disclaimer , I'm not a techie nor do I have hard scientific facts. ( just going off of my
observation of my soaps )

I think you hit the nail on the head when you used the word " Mature " in describing a good
piece of soap . Just like wine & cheese can be eaten days after production nothing beats an
aged wheel of cheese nor a bottle of aged vino .

I have used pieces of Castile soap at a couple months stage and bars at 8 months - 1 year stage
and find that the older it is the better the character of the soap . I surely find that it last longer
as well. I have soap bars that are more than 7 years old and they are mild , long lasting and
possess far more "maturity " than any of the 4-6 weeks old soap i have around.

Going off of the title of the topic " Saponification vs Cure vs Drying " they may not hold a candle to
" Maturity " ......... saponification is the reaction of lye & oils , which after 24-48 hours you can use
your soap. And curing & drying is pretty much the same thing [ curing = drying ] for it refers to the
evaporation of water out of the soap . Using that frame of mind I would say your soap is "cured"
after it stops evaporating and is good to go .
I may not have given any technical reason for curing or cure time ..... i still think there is something hidden in a real mature bar of soap from my observation .

I have had the same experience described by @paradisi and @Lion Of Judah. Soaps that were rather pitiful (thin lather) or even downright irritating (very drying) after 4-6 weeks of curing were absolutely lovely after a year or more of curing.

My salt soaps (100% CO, 50% salt, 25% SF) are incredible at the 2-year mark. My husband hated them even at one year (skin felt dry), but loves them now.

Hey All, apologies for my tardy response. I’ve been a bit caught up with the refugee event we were doing and struggling a little with a “man-cold”.

Many thanks for all the comments and reading material. It seems my understanding was a little simplistic and my memory was playing tricks again.

I look forward to taking the time to digest all of this properly. It undoubtedly will improve my soaping.

Last edited:
I recall that I did a little experiment back then and weighed some soaps I had made over time. I noted that I had used a recipe with about 30% water. At the end of about 6 weeks - this is all from a long time ago so I could get some of the numbers wrong - the bars were about 28% lighter than when they were cut. So, apparently most of the water was gone.
No...only 28% of the 30% was gone.

Although they lose a lot of water in the first 6 weeks, they continue to lose water for a good 6 months or longer at a declining rate. I use cigar labels and a tight label at 2 months will still be so lose at 6 months that I have to replace it.

Although they lose a lot of water in the first 6 weeks, they continue to lose water for a good 6 months or longer at a declining rate. I use cigar labels and a tight label at 2 months will still be so lose at 6 months that I have to replace it.
Interesting, so the soap must 'pack tighter' over time.

I'm sad that this doesn't happen to me. I tend to gain mass around the middle over any six-month span...

Saponification is the chemical process of turning fats and liquid alkali into soap.

Drying is the process of water evaporation to harden your soap.

Curing is magic. If you have any doubts that it is magic compare a freshly made bar of soap with a soap that is six weeks old vs six months. It's the difference between moonshine and 35-year old single malt scotch.

No...only 28% of the 30% was gone.
I'm only a simple engineer but I think 28% of 30% is 8.4%. :cool:

As I said, I am 'remembering' figures from a long time ago. What I do remember with some certainty is that after a relatively short time - i.e. not 6 months to a year - the vast majority of the weight contributed by the water content seemed to be gone. That's why I found it puzzling and it stayed with me.

The answers here, including your explanation citing magic, have laid my confusion to rest.

Thanks everyone. 👍

Latest posts

Back