First time making liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Lorna Baer If you want to try this correction, weigh everything when you put it all in the pot. It should weigh more than 100 oz. because of the dilution water you already added, but that would be my target if I were trying to boil off the excess water from trying to make the batch into Liquid Soap.
HTH :computerbath:

The Good News is you will probably never make that mistake again! 😁

That's a sign that it never fully saponified. If you Hot Processed it you needed to cook it longer.

That's possible with NaOH soap but you would use 6-8 times the weight of soap. In any case, the result is like @AliOop described. It will indeed revert to solid soap given enough time. (Speaking from first-hand experience! ) :rolleyes:

I reckon that's an initial reaction that won't last. The batch is seriously NaOH heavy and rear it's ugly head as @DeeAnna mentioned. 😟

Nope.

Nope. Not at that level of excess NaOH.

Fully saponified soap (NaOH or KOH) requires no preservative.

It will keep if you make an adjustment to compensate for the excess NaOH.

So sorry you went to all that trouble before checking in here.
The only way to correct a batch with excess NaOH mistakenly subbed for KOH is to add enough fatty acids/oils to use up the excess NaOH.

For the benefit of those who may be interested, I'll explain what to do to correct the mistakes.
I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate it.
I have no idea how to Zap it.. Lol!
This is my 2 jars. I will keep you up dated with the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
What about the preservative I add. Will it be depleted after heating that mixture?
At what temperature does it need to reach after adding the coconut oil and olive oil and how long?

I think it would be best if you answered those questions for yourself after doing a little research about making liquid soap. ;)

LS is not like cooking where you can just follow a recipe, at least, not until you lay the foundation for the process.

Alaiyna B'e Blogspot has a Beginner's Recipe to learn the basics.
Check out her Tutorials, Liquid Soap found in the top menu.
It's best to make small (12-16 oz. oils) batches at first to get the hang of it.

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

I think it would be best if you answered those questions for yourself after doing a little research about making liquid soap. ;)

LS is not like cooking where you can just follow a recipe, at least, not until you lay the foundation for the process.

Alaiyna B'e Blogspot has a Beginner's Recipe to learn the basics.
Check out her Tutorials, Liquid Soap found in the top menu.
It's best to make small (12-16 oz. oils) batches at first to get the hang of it.

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:
Thank you for all your suggestions and expertise.
🫧🫧

Latest posts

Back