first separation problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northland Naturals

Reaction score
it was bound to happen at some point. gelled my soap last night and just uncovered this morning to check it out and it has a layer about half inch of oils on top, probably a total of 8-12 oz. trying to determine what went wrong. ran everything through soap calc, soaped at about 100 degrees.

30% CO
20% OO
30% crisco
10% castor
10% shea

8% superfat

used half water, half soymilk, sweetened lye solution with 1.5 tbs sugar, fully dissolved. i've used this exact recipe and method numerous times and gotten great soap. maybe the FO is to blame? i was so looking forward to it! it's Torrential Rains from NG...

thoughts are appreciated!

:cry: Sorry for your batch; sounds like a lovely recipe. I've had that happen once before and I attributed it to pouring before I was actually at trace. Thought it was emulsified enough but guess it wasn't. Can you crock pot it?

I have had 2 batches seperate too and I am sure it was because of the FO. Both times I added the FO after trace and then it got thick and grainy real fast. The first time I pitched everything. The second time warmed ut all up in my cp and it came out fine..

poured the excess oil at the top into a double boiler, then messed with the solidified portion a bit. when i pressed into it a clear liquid leaked out, which i promptly tasted. i finally get what "zapped" means.

trying my first rebatch now. so far not looking promising and i'm growing less and less fond of this FO the more i smell it.

ive never had it happen, but I would chunk it up and put it in crock til gel looking and put in mold, may work? It will be ugly, but you family can use it, if it works? good luck.

Back