First Seized Batch - UPDATE - PHOTOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackiK

Reaction score
I'm so bummed. First, I used blue ultramarine with my recipe. Guess the oils had too much yellow in them because it turned green. ARRGGG. Then, I was messing around with my mold at the last minute. When I went to pour in the soap, it was set up like good old Jell-O. :evil:

I gave it the good old college try, but it may be ruined, along with my new Hydrangea (sp?) FO. It smells so good. Gotta make a note of that. It's in the oven so we'll see in the morning.

Okay. I'm going to try to attach the photos. Forgive me if this doesn't work. I apologize in advance for the size of the photos. I'm a DA when it comes to stuff like this.

You can't tell from the photos, but i did put sparkles on top of the whipped soap. Learned a couple of valuable lessons for when I do this the next time. As you can see, the sized batch turned out okay. A few too many air bubbles for my taste, but not worth rebatching.

soap002.jpg

soap006.jpg

soap005.jpg

It seems like most florals do acc. trace. It makes it hard to get in the mold, and you can forget about a smooth top...but it should still be fine.

Thanks, Debra.

It began to separate very badly so I threw it back in the pot and stick blended it until it was uniform again.

On the bright side, I topped it with the whipped icing recipe I got here on the forum. The recipe is wonderful. It acts just like butter cream icing and I was able to work with it for a really long time. I can hardly wait to make the cupcakes. I think I'll stick to EO with the cupcake batch, though!

Next time the soap seizes; let it. Then you can either let it go to gel by itself, or put it in the oven til it gels. When it gels completely, glop it into your mold.

After it seized, I thought I'd try to break it up some with the SB. After that, I put it in the mold and it started separating really bad. Took it back out of the mold and SB'd it again. It stayed together that time so I put the topping on and it's sitting on the table.

Good learning experience!

I used the blue ultramarine and hydrangea FO and didn't have any trouble.It still is blue and I put in PO,CO,EVOO,Canola and Castor. I didn't have any trouble seizing.

Relle.

Relle9 said:
I used the blue ultramarine and hydrangea FO and didn't have any trouble.It still is blue and I put in PO,CO,EVOO,Canola and Castor. I didn't have any trouble seizing.

Relle.

My recipe was a bit different. I will try another batch with the ingredients you used.

Hydrangea FO and blue ultramarine

Relle9 said:

Relle.

Would you mind sharing at what temp you soaped? I love the smell of this FO and the color has actually settled to a nice blue.

Thanks,
Jacki

Thanks, guys (gals!). Learned a couple of lessons I'll share.

#1. When making the whipped soap using cold ingredients, melt all your oils together first, then put them in the fridge. When I just measured out the oils and put them in a bowl to refrigerate, the coconut oil got really hard and left chunks. One part of it never would blend with the rest.

#2. When applying the whipped soap, press it into the base soap really well, especially along the edge of your mold. If you look close at my photos, there's a gap between the base and the whipped portion on the edges. I know, I'm anal retentive. May never reach perfection, but can't stop trying.

Jacki

Back