First batch success…so far!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter and I made our first batch of MP soap with the kit I ordered. Worked great and she had a big time. I made a CP test run with 80% lard, 10% EVOO, 10% CO and it worked just like the instructions except orange turned more pink overnight.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. Now to find a recipe for old thin skin and one to maybe help my wife’s Lupus flareups. Anybody got recipes that may work?

Fantastic! Post pics when you can. ;)

BTW, if you used the colors from your M&P kit in your CP soap, they likely aren't going to be colorfast due to the high pH of active lye, aka The Lye Monster. Colorants for CP are specifically chosen or formulated to withstand that, whereas colorants for M&P are not.

My go-to recipe for my husband's psoriasis and eczema and very thin skin is:

65% lard
20% neem oil
10% coconut oil
5% castor oil

The following additives are included at % of total oil weight:

2% sugar
1% sodium citrate
1% colloidal oats

I also 2% SF to limit the soap scum (lard makes a lot of scum).

I don't know how I've missed your posts so a belated WELCOME to the Forum! And, hands down, the best username EVER!

You've already heard from the professional, @AliOop . But even if you don't use her recipe, I think you and your wife will experience an improvement in your skin health. I got into cold process soap for the creativity. I was caught off guard when I noticed a dramatic improvement in the health of my skin and my family's skin. I've saved a bundle on prescriptions and OTC products.

And we're waiting for photographic evidence....

Fantastic! Post pics when you can. ;)

BTW, if you used the colors from your M&P kit in your CP soap, they likely aren't going to be colorfast due to the high pH of active lye, aka The Lye Monster. Colorants for CP are specifically chosen or formulated to withstand that, whereas colorants for M&P are not.

My go-to recipe for my husband's psoriasis and eczema and very thin skin is:

65% lard
20% neem oil
10% coconut oil
5% castor oil

The following additives are included at % of total oil weight:

2% sugar
1% sodium citrate
1% colloidal oats

I also 2% SF to limit the soap scum (lard makes a lot of scum).
Thanks, I’ll give that recipe a try.

My daughter and I made our first batch of MP soap with the kit I ordered. Worked great and she had a big time. I made a CP test run with 80% lard, 10% EVOO, 10% CO and it worked just like the instructions except orange turned more pink overnight.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. Now to find a recipe for old thin skin and one to maybe help my wife’s Lupus flareups. Anybody got recipes that may work?
If you're looking for other recipes (Which AliOop's recipe looks awesome, so totally understand if you're good) I've also had family members with Eczema who like my Castile soap (100% olive oil at 5% superfat) and my Coconut Milk soap (95% coconut oil, 5% castor oil, 20% superfat, and half of my lye water is full fat coconut milk). The Castile soap requires like 4- 6 months cure time so it's a patient man's game but it's great soap.

If you're looking for other recipes (Which AliOop's recipe looks awesome, so totally understand if you're good) I've also had family members with Eczema who like my Castile soap (100% olive oil at 5% superfat) and my Coconut Milk soap (95% coconut oil, 5% castor oil, 20% superfat, and half of my lye water is full fat coconut milk). The Castile soap requires like 4- 6 months cure time so it's a patient man's game but it's great soap.
Thanks for the recipe. I have used Dr Bronner’s castile soaps for as long as I can remember. In college we watched a video about Dr Bronner and his soap. Thought it was interesting so did a mail-in order. Telling my age now. That stuff has more uses than a politician has lies. Anyone got a recipe for the Sal suds? By every sink you will find a foamer pump with peppermint in it and a gallon jug in the pantry, definitely on my list to make. Did you mean 2% or 20% superfat on the other?

Thanks for the recipe. I have used Dr Bronner’s castile soaps for as long as I can remember. In college we watched a video about Dr Bronner and his soap. Thought it was interesting so did a mail-in order. Telling my age now. That stuff has more uses than a politician has lies. Anyone got a recipe for the Sal suds? By every sink you will find a foamer pump with peppermint in it and a gallon jug in the pantry, definitely on my list to make. Did you mean 2% or 20% superfat on the other?
Dr. Bronners is great stuff! Definitely one of the inspirations I took from for making my own Castile! I haven't ventured into liquid or foam soaps yet but I believe most of those recipes will call for potassium hydroxide rather than lye, and you can use the search function in the forum to find recipes if you don't get a response here :)

Coconut oil soap is very bubbly and cleansing, but it is also very harsh with standard 5% superfat, so most recipes that low are intended for laundry or other jobs intended to strip oils from surfaces. You'll commonly see coconut oil only recipes intended for skin at 15-20% superfat to help restore the oils it would otherwise strip away. I find that a lot of soapers that make this soap have strong opinions on coconut oil only soap and they're not all good because everyone has different preferences on what a bar should feel like, and how much scum is permissable from a cured bar, etc. and some people really hate the high superfat.You kind of have to try it for yourself to decide if you like it. I was convinced I'd hate it because of some negative reviews I'd read, but turns out I think it's a really great soap. And you can make it without the castor oil and it'll still turn out fine, I just like the extra bubbles haha

Here’s the photographic evidence. The blue is the melt and pour my daughter did and the pink is the CP. It’s cured almost 3 weeks and I tried one of the test pieces. It’s soap! Didn’t notice anything negative and one positive…didn’t itch last night. Still used lotion this morning but for a first try I’m pleased. I got some recipes for old thin skin to try but this is good basic soap IMHO.

Attachments

• C7262645-8E53-495F-A99D-330C80EBBA05.jpeg
    C7262645-8E53-495F-A99D-330C80EBBA05.jpeg
    881.5 KB · Views: 0
Here’s the photographic evidence. The blue is the melt and pour my daughter did and the pink is the CP. It’s cured almost 3 weeks and I tried one of the test pieces. It’s soap! Didn’t notice anything negative and one positive…didn’t itch last night. Still used lotion this morning but for a first try I’m pleased. I got some recipes for old thin skin to try but this is good basic soap IMHO.
It looks wonderful! They unmolded nicely, and it looks like the orange came out the right color after all! 🙌🏻

It looks wonderful! They unmolded nicely, and it looks like the orange came out the right color after all! 🙌🏻
The color looks more orange in the picture, more pink in real life. Also leans more towards one or the other in different light. Using the color drops that came with the MP kit is a crapshoot and changes as curing progresses. I got some mica powders to play with so maybe I’ll get close to what I’m shooting for. 🤓

Latest posts

Back