first attempt at using color and layering, what happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve4soap

Reaction score
So I wanted to make my girlfriend some soap. I wasn't going for anything "pretty", in that I a. used lined tupperware for my mold and b. kinda just poured the soaps together little by little.

It seemed oily after the first day in the mold so I let it go for another day. It seemed dry after 48 hours.

I cut it and it's still pretty wet. I did use .5oz more fragrance oil than the conventional 1oz PPO. Could that be the issue? I've used this same recipe twice now and I never had this issue.

nbUAh.jpg

I have a few recipes that are pretty wet when cut and after 4 weeks on the rack, they are just fine so give it a little time.

Now about the colors.....BEAUTIFUL! They look very nice.

Thanks for the reassurance! I used fuchsia for the color but it came out a bit more pink than I expected. Either way, I think she'll like them.

For fragrance I used 1/3 BB Energy, 1/3 BB Rosehip Jasmine and 1/3 BB Almond. Needless to say it smells ridiculously sweet so I think she'll enjoy it. The BB Energy tended to dominate the fragrance but you can pick up the softer sweet notes of Almond and the floral Jasmine smell on the backend.

I would say it was the fragrance. I soaped the same recipe and used 1oz ppo in one batch and nothing in the other. The one with the EO in it was softer and took a lot longer to cure. It did, but was always a slightly softer soap. Yours should harden up and absorb the fragrance back in. It might need a 6 week cure to harden up really well.

edit - the color and swirl looks great!

Back