Finally made my first batch of cp!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaLe

Reaction score
Last night I finally made my first batch of cold process soap! I really wanted to go all out and make some pretty swirled soap, but I'm glad I didn't. Adding fragrance and color was enough, almost too much LOL. I made a post a few weeks ago asking a few questions and I just want to say how much I really appreciate all of the advice given. I really learned a lot making this soap last night. The essential oil I used accelerated everything ( I think it did, I think the temps were too low when I started mixing everything). I should have added the color first. I also should have used more color. I was so upset last night because I thought the soap was going to be an ugly brown color instead of purple, but it's a light grey/purplish color this morning. I had so much fun and I'm going to make more tonight so I can get some more practice in. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. What are these bumps on the soap? The little flake looking bumps ( I made the lines playing with my spoon). Is that soda ash or is it because the soap got too hot? I did stick it in the oven so it would gel. I preheated to 170 and turned it off when I put the soap in and left it overnight.

2. I'm looking at the lye calculator on soap calc and I don't understand what hardness is. I thought it meant how hard the bar is and that would determine how long it would last in the shower, but I guess that's what the iodine is. So what exactly does it mean by hardness? Is it the same as the iodine?

Thanks!

Attachments

• soap.jpg
    soap.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 38
I have yet to make my first batch... coming soon! But your batch looks great - even with the flake looking bumps. I'll be happy if in the end it looks like soap!

I have yet to make my first batch... coming soon! But your batch looks great - even with the flake looking bumps. I'll be happy if in the end it looks like soap!
Thank you! I'm sure your first batch will work out! When are you going to be making it?

1. What are these bumps on the soap? The little flake looking bumps ( I made the lines playing with my spoon). Is that soda ash or is it because the soap got too hot? I did stick it in the oven so it would gel. I preheated to 170 and turned it off when I put the soap in and left it overnight.

Soda Ash. I didn't cover my last batch of CPOP and I got it over all my soaps (4 batches). Next time, just cover your soap with plastic wrap.

2. I'm looking at the lye calculator on soap calc and I don't understand what hardness is. I thought it meant how hard the bar is and that would determine how long it would last in the shower, but I guess that's what the iodine is. So what exactly does it mean by hardness? Is it the same as the iodine?

Hardness refers to the firmness of the soap bar. Iodine also refers to the physical state of the soap bar; the lower the number the physically harder the bar. With that said, regardless of the physically qualities of the bar, it's the curing time that really brings those qualities out. So regardless of how 'hard' your bar is...a bar of soap cured for four weeks, isn't going to last as long as a bar that has cured for four months.

Soda Ash. I didn't cover my last batch of CPOP and I got it over all my soaps (4 batches). Next time, just cover your soap with plastic wrap.

Hardness refers to the firmness of the soap bar. Iodine also refers to the physical state of the soap bar; the lower the number the physically harder the bar. With that said, regardless of the physically qualities of the bar, it's the curing time that really brings those qualities out. So regardless of how 'hard' your bar is...a bar of soap cured for four weeks, isn't going to last as long as a bar that has cured for four months.
Thank you so much for the explanations! I will definitely use plastic wrap on my next batch.

Thank you! I'm sure your first batch will work out! When are you going to be making it?

I just order some of the needlepoint mesh which will be here next week some time but I don't think I'll wait that long. Although I just read a post about some possibly using a mica powder that wasn't suitable for cp soap. I bought my micas awhile ago from amazon when I was playing around with melt & pour soap - so now I'm 2nd guessing if I should use it or get some new ones. I will definitely post when I've done it and post pics - good or bad.

I just order some of the needlepoint mesh which will be here next week some time but I don't think I'll wait that long. Although I just read a post about some possibly using a mica powder that wasn't suitable for cp soap. I bought my micas awhile ago from amazon when I was playing around with melt & pour soap - so now I'm 2nd guessing if I should use it or get some new ones. I will definitely post when I've done it and post pics - good or bad.

If you could provide a link to the mica you purchased, folks would be able to tell you if it’s safe to use. I cured my first soap on cookie sheet with a pice of cardboard on it.

thanks for that idea... I bought it on Amazon which may reflect on the quality but I will find out and report back.

thanks for that idea... I bought it on Amazon which may reflect on the quality but I will find out and report back.

Well I found the order easily and it says right in the description that is it not suitable for cp soap! That's a disappointment. I'm in Canada and wonder if anyone here might also be in Canada who can recommend a place to purchase good quality mica for cp soap. Thanks,

Ok y'all, I need some help again. I unmolded and cut my soap just now. I think I did it too soon maybe? What is up with these specks in the soap? Are they just a bunch of air bubbles? I'm positive everything was blended together because I'm pretty sure I over blended. It was so thick by the time I poured it into the mold. I had to use a spoon to glob it out. As you can see there are tons of holes on the outside of the loaf. They aren't smooth at all and felt sticky. Did I unmold it too soon? You can see the knife made drag marks when I cut it. :confused: I'm kinda bummed right now. At least the purple is pretty.

Attachments

• soap2.jpg
    soap2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 20
  • soap3.jpg
    soap3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 20
  • soap4.jpg
    soap4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
What is up with these specks in the soap? Are they just a bunch of air bubbles? I'm positive everything was blended together because I'm pretty sure I over blended. It was so thick by the time I poured it into the mold. I had to use a spoon to glob it out.

They could be "stearic spots" which are caused by using oils/butter high in stearic (or palmitic) acid and then soaping at lower temperatures and/or not completely melting the butters. It doesn't really affect the quality of the soap, just the appearance.

Don't assume that a thick trace is a sign of over blending because colorants, scents and additives can cause acceleration. Something I found out the hard way and the reason why, when using any new colorant, scent, additives or new combination, that I start with a 1lb batch. I went from a thin trace to having to toss out just over 2lbs of concrete and a bowl.

That is a beautiful soap, great job! Looks like you have some soda ash on the top, which you can get rid of by steaming the tops or your soaps. Sometimes I leave the soda ash on for aesthtic reasons. I think your soap may also have bubbles in it as well. Did you use a stick blender? Sometimes vigorous stick blending or stirring can introduce bubbles that then get suspended.

They could be "stearic spots" which are caused by using oils/butter high in stearic (or palmitic) acid and then soaping at lower temperatures and/or not completely melting the butters. It doesn't really affect the quality of the soap, just the appearance.

Don't assume that a thick trace is a sign of over blending because colorants, scents and additives can cause acceleration. Something I found out the hard way and the reason why, when using any new colorant, scent, additives or new combination, that I start with a 1lb batch. I went from a thin trace to having to toss out just over 2lbs of concrete and a bowl.
I know the oils were all totally melted. I actually took too long measuring and melting them. My lye water cooled a lot by the time the oils were done and then they were so much hotter I had to wait for them to cool, so I definitely soaped at a lower temp. I also think my essential oil accelerated the soap, but I'm not sure because I had a pretty thick trace when I added it. Thank you so much for answering again! I really appreciate it.

That is a beautiful soap, great job! Looks like you have some soda ash on the top, which you can get rid of by steaming the tops or your soaps. Sometimes I leave the soda ash on for aesthtic reasons. I think your soap may also have bubbles in it as well. Did you use a stick blender? Sometimes vigorous stick blending or stirring can introduce bubbles that then get suspended.
Oh thank you so much! You've made my day lol. I did use a stick blender and I stirred it a lot as well after I added the color because it seemed like it wasn't mixing because it was getting really thick. I panicked a bit actually!

I think it looks pretty good. I've had a few of my soaps have those exact same spots in it, but it never bothered me. Heck, maybe all of mine do because I more often pour into individual bar molds than make a block and cut. If you can get it poured before you have to spoon it in, then drop your mold on the counter a few times from an inch or so up, you can get a lot of those bubbles out.

Latest posts

Back