Felted Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieSpinne

Reaction score
what is the general attitude about Felted Soaps, nowadays.

Once upon a time, they were used as a way of prettying up soaps that had discolored or were "scratch and dent".

Now, with the advent of needlefelting popularity on the rise, many very artistic felted soaps are out there with elaborate patterns and beautiful felting.

Why? Are you thinking of doing one for the swap? Mwaahaaahaaa! :twisted:

I have never seen one but I would love to try some!! :D

Actually, I am thinking of doing one... I recently acquired some beautiful alpaca roving and it is SO SOFT and has a beautiful luster.

I also have some hand-spun yarn that would make a nice embellishment and a pattern idea that will take some time to accomplish, but would look nice when finished. The soap I had intended to send has discolored to brown a LOT more than the vendor's description said it would and I cannot afford right now to replace those materials... but the soap SMELLS fantastic and has a good lather already... but I don't want to do this if the soap will be poorly received simply because of an old stigma.

I have a supply of roving also - but have yet to felt a soap bar. I may take it with me to Florida this winter and work on some there.

I've never tried one in the shower -- I'm thinking it would be rough, even if a soft wool. But then again, people rave about them so .... I guess all we can do is make up a batch and see what people think of them. Hmmm ... reminds me of when I first started soapmaking!! Lots of trial and error ahead, me thinks!!

The ones on Etsy are lovely - well, some of them. Some are very artistic. I'm going to go for the practcal side of the market - it's soap so wash with it already!! Providing anybody in the famiily actually likes it ... :D

I love felting my uglies... Let me see if I can find a link to a bunch of felted soaps on smf

Oh Jezzy, I want that bunny soap!

I would love to try a felted soap. I think they would be well received. They take a lot of work and it would be a very special gift.

Sorry Soapy Gurl,

I gave that to my mom. It took 4 hours and about 7 broken needles ;) it doesn't take me 4 hours anymore. I have the hang of it now... :wink:

Back