Favorite "mixing pot"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattobrn

Reaction score
What type of container do you use for mixing your soap? So far I have only made HP soap, so I used a crockpot. I do have a 12 stock pot, but it is too big for smaller batches. I'm just looking for ideas for 1 & 2 lb batches.

i just use a large pyrex measuring cup (8 cups?) to melt my oils in and then pour my lye mix into...and a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup PLACED IN THE SINK, then i add the lye...never had one break on me in 16 years, but there is always a first time!

I do large Pyrex too but was advised on here not to. I still am but I mix
The lye in the sink in case it breaks. Putting that hot lye in plastic makes me nervous. Most buckets don't say if they are hdpe and i would hate for it to melt!i really should find one though.
Oils are in a chefmates steel pots. I have 3 different sizes from 4 - approximately 16 qts.
4 is good for mixing 2 lbs.

Last edited:
Hi! I use various sizes of stainless steel pots including some stock pots for making cp soap. For mixing the lye solution I use different sizes of those thick plastic (HD) jugs or pouring pitchers made by Rubbermaid. Many items can be found in many stores such as BigLots, Walmart, etc. Always find different sizes so you have them on hand for different size soap batches.

I use a five gallon bucket, but I seperate the 2lb batches out into plastic measuring cups. The measuring cups came from Walmart for $0.97.

Rubbermaid plastic pitcher (HDPE plastic n. 5) for mixing lye and large plastic bowls with pouring spouts - got them at Walmart for about $3 each, they can hold up to 3 lbs. of soap batter. For larger batches, a stainless steel pot I got at the local thrift shop.

I use a nice size stainless pot that I got at a flea market. Its not suitable for less than 2lbs. For smaller I use pails that oils or lard came in. I basically do the same for mixing my lye in. I have a smaller stainless pot and if its a real small batch I will just use some cups I got at Lowes that are like 16 or 24oz that are sold in the paint section. I also use those for separating out batter to color. Since those cups are all the same size its great when you need to get equal portions of batter.

I use 1 lb hdpe buckets for my 5lb batches of soap. I measure out all my hard oils and melt them in the micro then add in the liquid oils. I usually 6 or 7 batches of oils measured out in buckets then just grab one to soap. Lye, I mix in 1 gallon jugs so I always have a 50/50 solution made up. I do one gallon of lye with silk and one without. Makes it quick to soap this way. The buckets I purchase from McMaster Carr.

I use an old stainless steel pot that was almost chucked out in a move. Glad I kept it now. Heartsong I used to use a pyrex jug to melt beeswax in a microwave. What a mess that made when it exploded!! I still have beeswax on stuff.

If you are worried that a plastic container might melt, boil some water and pour it in the container. See what happens. If boiling water is fine, then hot lye solution will be fine too.

Also, for those in the US, look at the triangular recycle code on the container. It will tell you the type of plastic in it -- look for HDPE.

For smaller batches I use a plastic (HDPE) bowl to mix everything together. It has a pouring spout which makes it very handy. For larger (3+ lbs) I use a plastic bucket (hardware store or a recycled bucket from oil purchased). For lye/water I use plastic also - either a recycled large yogurt container or an old water pitcher. The plastic containers from the hardware store (in the paint aisle) are handy for seperating batches to mix colorants in.

I use a 5 gallon heavy duty bucket and an hdpe pitcher for my lye water.

I use these plastic mixing bowls from the Dollar Tree and they are AWESOME! They have a handle and a spout for easy pouring & they're super light. They're pretty durable & for a buck you can't beat it. I've only had one crack & it was because I dropped my scale on it. Perfect for 1-2 lb batches (which is what I do), but they could go larger too.

http://www.dollartree.com/household...les-2-frac12-qt-/500c526c529p185884/index.pro

I use these plastic mixing bowls from the Dollar Tree and they are AWESOME! They have a handle and a spout for easy pouring & they're super light. They're pretty durable & for a buck you can't beat it. I've only had one crack & it was because I dropped my scale on it. Perfect for 1-2 lb batches (which is what I do), but they could go larger too.

http://www.dollartree.com/household...les-2-frac12-qt-/500c526c529p185884/index.pro

That's what I use too! I bought the white one and it works good for smaller batches.

I've got a white one too. I use it for mixing my lye. For my soap batter I have a set of three white plastic bowls with pour spouts I got at the Goodwill store for $3.

Now I save the gallon oil buckets my PKO, CO, Palm Oil, etc., come in so I can use those for larger batches and to start master batching oils.

I melt my oils in a glass pot but I mix the batter in 1.5 gallon plastic bucket I got from the local bakery. I mix my lye in a plastic drink pitcher.

$2 HDPE bucket from Lowe's for mixing everything; $1 liter HDPE containers from Lowe's for mixing lye solution.

I use the 8# buckets my oils come in from WSP. Great for premeasuring several batches of oils, heating in the microwave, & mixing. So handy :)

Latest posts

Back