Face soap or Body soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapman Ryan

Reaction score
My sister asked me to make her a face soap. Since we are just using oils, how would a face soap be different than a body soap. She asks me all the time, before using a new soap that I have by the sink, is this a face soap or hand soap?
Is there a difference, if so, what would I use differently to make a face soap?

Face soap would have more conditioning properties and less cleansing so it doesn't dry the skin out.

Face soap would have more conditioning properties and less cleansing so it doesn't dry the skin out.

My favorite percent is at 25% coconut oil in my body bars (cleaning around number 17). What percent should I be around in facial bars, or what cleaning number should my target be?
Thanks

Last edited:
I might not be the best person to answer that since I'm new at soaping but I can say that the bar I made with 15 cleansing is too drying for my face. I want to try a 10 and a 8, see which I like better for my dry skin.

I might not be the best person to answer that since I'm new at soaping but I can say that the bar I made with 15 cleansing is too drying for my face. I want to try a 10 and a 8, see which I like better for my dry skin.

Thanks, that's a good number to start at. I'll target the 8, that will be about half of my body bars.

Cleansing is how oil stripping the soap is, I personally use a 0 cleansing, with high superfat and use a layer of jojoba oil on my face after.

I have normal to oily skin. I only use soap on my face once or twice a week, the rest of the time I just put jojoba oil on a cotton ball and use that.

I don't have a sensitive skin and use soap with 20-30 for cleansing without any problems. If your sister has oily skin like me you might want a higher number in cleansing.

Hi Ryan! Marieke makes a very good point; ask your sister if she has more of a dry or oily skin and then go from there. For a drier skin you can go much less on coconut and the opposite for an oily skin. If she has a "balanced" skin type then you can make a luxury soap that she can also use for her body. Ask her first then make your recipe. I am sure she will be happy. Good for you for making a soap for her!

Last edited:
Or ask her what she thinks of your current recipe, if it leaves her face tight and finds her skin drying out and producing more oil drop the cleansing, up the supper fat and if she wants something for acne add tea tree oil and lavender eo.

Or ask her what she thinks of your current recipe, if it leaves her face tight and finds her skin drying out and producing more oil drop the cleansing, up the supper fat and if she wants something for acne add tea tree oil and lavender eo.

I will have to ask her, but I believe she has oily skin. My current body soap is 10% superfat, but will be making the face soap with goat milk. I currently have goat milk body bars still curing, so I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I have read such great things about goat milk, so all my future soaps will probably be made from goat milk.

Last edited:
I find that sunflower oil between 25-35% makes a really conditioning bar of soap, perfect for the face. That and milk soaps. Can't go wrong with those. Just remember that the lower your coconut/palm percentage the softer the bar will be.

Latest posts

Back