Environmentalism and the soap-making community.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a lot of research on this, as well, since ecological/environmental impact is something everyone should consider.
There are several safer harvesting locations and practices for palm oil that don't have negative impact on rainforests or orangutan populations..we just need to spread word of these organizations, as we can, so the unsafe practices are taken to a minimum, if not eradicated eventually.
Here's a good blog on it that I found.
http://www.maplerowe.com/blog/sustainable-palm-oil

Beeswax & Bubbles
www.beeswaxbubbles.com

I have a feeling this thread will soon be closed. I know if I said what I REALLY think of Greenpeace, that would be enough to get it closed. Now, I am for practices that do not endanger our earth or its inhabitants both animal and human. And I do not use palm or palm kernel in my soap.

The article is biased, IMO. I read all I could but when it got to calling GP "professional" I could read no more. I'll continue to help the earth whenever I can. But not through GP.

I don't use palm. Not because someone told me it was bad for <fill-in-the-blank-cause>, but because lard is cheaper, locally available(no shipping), and I like the soap better.

Rather than reading any environmental group's most recent rant about the <fill-in-the-blank-new-cause>, I would rather spend my time finding out what is locally sourced and better for MY local economy and environment.

Thank you for your input, though!

Before things become somewhat heated and/or political, I would recommend a search be done on the forum as this discussion has been had many times before and is not new to anyone who has been on the forum for 6 months or more. Most if not all of the members here have concerns and practice their soapmaking in an environmentally conscious manner.
A respectful discussion of what we as individuals do, do not do, might do, could do, prefer not to do, in our practices is perfectly acceptable but promotion, proselytizing and political gamesmanship will cause the thread to be closed.

Yesterday I posted this thread regarding palm oil. I did not realize it was such a sensitive topic. I am new on this forum and thought it would be acceptable to pass on information that someone new might be unaware of. I lurked on this forum for many months before I registered as a member and I thought there might be others out there that could be doing the same. I realize that information that people have seen before may seem "old', but I assumed that if people had seen it before, they would at the worst, roll their eyes and move on and at the best, skip to the next item on the list. I never dreamed I would be considered to be an activist or political. So, if I have offended anyone or made you uncomfortable, I am sorry.

My apologies!

I think I should be the one apologizing. I've spent quite a while since my post above thinking about the problems of interpreting others thoughts and motives with only the written text. Posting on palm oil is not so much a sensitive topic. Soapers discuss it and make their own decision. And that is that. I just hope and pray that they come down on the correct side of the decision making process. It appears that you have done so, and I applaud you for that.

I guess I am the one that turned this into a sensitive topic. You may not have been showing any support for Greenpeace. It is probable that you had been reading on the subject and this seemed like a good article to share, not knowing that the subject had been covered many times before. Better to let people know and be repetitive than for them not to know, right?

It was in my young adult years that GP got its start. I saw how their tactics had a negative effect in the general population and in doing so set the environmental movement back by years and years. Many mainstream Americans (and other nations I suppose) thought the environmental movement was a bunch of hogwash because the only visible opposition they saw was GP. No way they were going to support reducing habitat loss or cleaning up waterways because then one might have been accused of fraternizing with GP. They were even branded as being a "bunch of Commies" in a time when communism was our biggest threat. We who wanted to educate others have been at an extreme disadvantage- and all thanks to GP.

I am extremely concerned about the environment, work at an environmental research institute and try very hard to be ecofriendly, however I share ruthie's view of greenpeace. I also had some nasty dealings with surfers against sewage who tried to get me to manipulate my scientifically accurate microbiological data collected from sewage outfall areas to show the results that they wanted, not the results that were actually present.

Latest posts

Back