Don't laugh! My first soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monaco

Reaction score
I just made my first M&P soap a couple days ago. It was made from a glycerine block I bought at Michael's craft store. I used a plastic mold I bought along with the glycerine. Unmolding was a pain!

I added some purple color (also bought at Michael's soap section), a lavender EO I had at home, and some dried lavender buds from our garden. They look like bugs in this soap, don't you think so? :crazy:

I don't know if I will be making more M&P soap. Even though I never made the CP soap yet, so I can't compare, the M&P method is definitely easy and safe, that's why I decided to try it first.

soap_zps4f72db27.jpg

I love the color and I'm not laughing. Everyone had to start somewhere first, too. I started with MP and didn't attempt CP until about 5 years later.

The color is pretty and the lavender just looks herbal. I bet it smells amazing!

Yep, lavender buds do discolor. That's why i always leave my soap uncolored. They turn black. I still think the soap looks nice.

That looks awesome! My stuff always ends up sinking or floating. It won't stay dispersed. The unmolding: try pulling the sides away first.

P!

Thank you all for kind words! :) I love how this soap leathers abundantly, it's just amazing! And I was generous on the EO, so it smells nicely too. For years I've been using store-bought liquid soap and almost never a real soap in blocks, so now I need to buy soap dish!

The unmolding: try pulling the sides away first.

I did, and I thought I'll break the plastic, it was that tough. I had to run a knife along the edges to release the soap. Not sure if there is any kind of a spray for glycerin soaps that won't interfere with the soap. Next time I want to try a simple box and line it with some wax paper, like I saw in some tutorials. Must be a lot easier that way!

Nice! Never tried m&p but have done the lavendar buds once. I'm saving the rest of the lavendars buds I bought to use in sachets.

Nice purple colors- very pretty. I'm not that big on leaves and buds in soap just for the reason you stated. They just don't look like you expect them to in your minds eye, so they?

Very pretty color! The plastic is a super big pain, try looking around, for some inexpensive silicone baking pans, I've picked up some at very good prices. The melt & pour will just pop right out.

Thanks again, everyone! :) I'm glad my soap didn't scare anyone. I can almost see those legs on the "bugs", haha!

The plastic is a super big pain, try looking around, for some inexpensive silicone baking pans, I've picked up some at very good prices. The melt & pour will just pop right out.

This week Michael's has a 50% off coupon, I got one with my last week's purchase. And I can print out another one from their website, if I needed more things. So I'm going to go there and see if they have any silicone molds. Otherwise will get more paint for soap.

Is there any kind of spray that helps unmolding the soap and doesn't interfere with the soap or ruins it? I just got that PVC pipe to make round soaps and now wonder how it'll behave...

I'm using drawer dividers from Walmart and Dollar Tree for loaf molds. My little plastic molds that I bought at Hobby Lobby, they warped when I poured too hot.

Back