Does this look right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a question about this soap I made. The color is very dark and I want to know if this is normal for a honey oatmeal soap. When I poured it into the mold it looked basically the same color as the pic of the Lavender I show here. Any ideas why it turned out so dark? Could putting it in an oven at 170 for 2 hours have done that? When i checked the temps it would get to 160 then down to 140 during the cycle on/off I have an electric oven. I am afraid to do any others this way until I know if it is normal for honey/oatmeal to be this dark ....don't want my others to be dark like that. LOL

recipe used is :
Soybean oil 16 oz
Olive Oil 8 oz
Lard 8 oz
Castor Oil 2 oz

Water 13 oz
Lye 4.3 oz

Val
[img=http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9565/honeyoatmeal.th.jpg]
[img=http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8056/lavendermold.th.jpg]

i noticed it does get darker in the oven, maybe dont do that part, you will have to cure longer though. it looks good.

Sorry about that........... I had to register and then it wouldn't let me in LOL I have posted them now. The honey oatmeal is a bit darker actually ... the pic does not show it that dark.

Val

If I do them in the oven for an hour will they all turn dark like that? Or is this the Honey causing that darkness. I want them to cure faster if possible.

Val

Ok so you are saying that this is just the Honey causing the darkness and if I were to use this method for one without honey it would not be dark and would stay cream colored? I hope that is what your saying. :D

Val

Even if the honey-oatmeal bars are dark, they look awesome to me They are a nice even tone and very earthy/natural. I would buy these.

Mine usually turn darker with honey in them , I have made only 1 that is staying lighter , I did not let that one gel.

Kitn

Thanks for the input everyone....... I thought I may have messed the soap up by doing it in the oven. I did go into the gallery page and saw someone elses honey oatmeal soaps and they are the same color so I feel much better seeing one and hearing from all of you that it is normal.

Thanks a heap. That was my second batch of soap and my first was a white bar soap made with just the oils and I didn't use enough eo's for the scent to hold very well. Live and learn it was citrus scents. I am hoping my Lavender eo sticks in this next batch. So far it is (knock wood) lol I will cut it tomorrow possibly....seems it is still doing the gel thing so I am not touching it :) It has lavender buds in it for some interest.

Val

I did not scent it so it doesn't have much for smelling. :(
The oatmeal honey one that is ..... will be cutting the Lavender today.

Val

x

it is the sugar in the honey that scorches at higher temps (gelling). milk does this too as it contains a small amount of sugar.

i usually chill my batch which prevents my gm & honey soaps from darkening. i also have to leave it in the mold uncovered to harden up a bit longer since i prevented gel. i usually discount the liquid:lye to 2:1.

once cut it takes the same amount of time to dry.

Newbie question here. LOL

Can ALL soaps use this discount on water? 2 liquid : 1 lye

I hear discounting makes it trace faster. I am tired of stirring for hours LOL

Val

Latest posts

Back