Does everyone eventually start selling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_like_melts

Reaction score
It seems like every crafter (especially for wax melts and soap) starts out saying the same things I did. "Wax is expensive and I'll save money if I start making it" or "This looks like fun" with no intention to sell. Then, friends and family start asking you to make things, one thing leads to another, and then you wind up on Etsy. Is that normal progression for these hobbies? This is simply meant as an observation, lol.

Nope, many continue to keep it as a hobby and something for themselves and family. Starting a business now s very difficult as there are so many people making/selling.
Good point. I guess I got more into it since I know a few people who sold on Etsy when I started and don't live near anyone I know (family is in Indiana, friends are all over the place). Making grab bags for friends and family (20 large bags of wax melts) last Christmas did wonders for my anxiety too, and I see wax/soap more like abstract art since then.

I will take commissions from a select few now, but have no interest at all in selling other than that.

I've seen too many home brewers destroy their hobby by trying to make it a business - even those who succeeded at the business.

As far as soap goes, I didn't come into this looking to save money in the first place, so I might have started from a different place than many. I came to soap explicitly looking for a new hobby that would allow me to create useful things and learn things. So for me, the hobby has always been the most important part.

For some folks that might be the full progression of things , but for a lot more folks (at least I think so according to my observations over the years), it's like a wave on the shore, i.e., it progresses to a certain point and looks like it might go further, but then pulls back and remains a hobby. At least that's how it was with me......

I'm the type of person that simply enjoys making things from scratch, and soaping started out as just another fun, interesting endeavor for me, but then things quickly progressed to the point where my giftees of family and friends loved my soap so much that they began enthusiastically encouraging me to sell. The pressure encouragement to sell became so strong that for awhile I seriously toyed with the idea of taking things to the next level, but I know myself too well.....I would have grown to passionately hate the pressure and stress of having to make gobs of soap to meet a deadline instead of wanting to make it for the sheer enjoyment of making it and happily giving it away as gifts.......... so I (happily) remain a hobbyist.

IrishLass :)

For some folks that might be the full progression of things , but for a lot more folks (at least I think so according to my observations over the years), it's like a wave on the shore, i.e., it progresses to a certain point and looks like it might go further, but then pulls back and remains a hobby. At least that's how it was with me......

I'm the type of person that simply enjoys making things from scratch, and soaping started out as just another fun, interesting endeavor for me, but then things quickly progressed to the point where my giftees of family and friends loved my soap so much that they began enthusiastically encouraging me to sell. The pressure encouragement to sell became so strong that for awhile I seriously toyed with the idea of taking things to the next level, but I know myself too well.....I would have grown to passionately hate the pressure and stress of having to make gobs of soap to meet a deadline instead of wanting to make it for the sheer enjoyment of making it and happily giving it away as gifts.......... so I (happily) remain a hobbyist.

One of my acquaintances bought a few bars of soap from me. He said he loved one so much he doesn't want to use anything else :p It makes it hard to say no. I'm still making what I want, regardless of market demand, especially when it comes to gifts :)

I do find it odd that this craft, and actually other crafts, tends to have this progression.

If making soap as often as one wants is too expensive.......don't make soap as often as one wants to! Don't pour more money than you should in to the hobby and then sell purely because you need to do so to support the hobby.

I too am keeping soap making to a hobby. Do I have too much soap? Of course I do. I think about selling every once in awhile, but after I really sit and think about everything that comes with starting and growing a business - especially in a saturated market, reality thankfully sets in. Twenty years ago maybe, but not at this point in my life. Almost everyone I know is now a hand made soap convert, and appreciates it when I give them a bag full of soap to use and share with others. I'm always on the look out for organizations to donate to. I do realize how lucky I am that my husband is supportive of my hobby so there are no issues there.

My journey started out because of my daughter, I actually had not intentions of making soap let alone selling it. In desperation for money, my daughters hubby could not find work here, she started with m&p and talked me into making cp soap. She is an epileptic with rheumatoid arthritis and had a young toddler at the time, and just could not work with lye. So the journey began and I fell in love with making soap and selling at markets plus it was something to do after retirement and not being able to travel due to the parents. For 4 years my daughter supported her family with her m&p and other products but it was a huge amount of work and promoting, you do not just decide to sell and make money...

Funny thing is, I have no family members, with the exception of one Sister in Law, that beg for soap, but do expect me to supply it for special occasions such as holidays and most of our good friends are no longer with us, so the family and friends do not work for me...

I actually had a friend who was a soaper who encouraged me to start making soap. At first it was just christmas presents, and then people wanted to buy more bars that I had given them, and then a friend opened up a small shop and asked if I wanted to put soap in it. Right now I just do that shop and one other, toyed with going online but haven't done so yet. It was nice today when after I restocked and was chatting a guy ran in and grabbed two bars and went right for the checkout...raving to the cashier about how great the soap was...didn't know I was the maker standing there!

The temptation to try and monetize hobbies is huge...I'm also a musician and did a bunch of gigging to justify spending money on equipment...I figured it out once and I barely made minimum wage! Below if you start figuring in practicing time (individual and band). But now that I"m not in a band, I can't go somewhere and play for free/low because I know I'll be undercutting "working" musicians... so I don't get to play much anymore.

I've also sold bonsai (another hobby) at farmers' markets and online, again to justify spending on the hobby. Learned quickly it's a "splurge" item and very very seasonal...so now I just grow for myself. I've toyed with selling them again, but for now it's a "real" hobby LOL. Ditto for miniatures (scenes and such), found I liked it better making them for gifts than I did trying to make for selling. Temptation is real....

I first thought of selling for the same reasons as so many others. "Ooohh, I love your soap! Best stuff ever! You should sell this!!", etc.
BUT...I had so many things to consider before I started selling. Can I afford the cost of starting a business (licenses, insurance, etc.)? Do I have the time and energy to devote to a business? My husband and I both have full time careers, so this was a huge question for me (the time and energy). When I had an opportunity to take a position for three 12-hour shifts at the hospital instead of five 8-hour shifts I jumped on it! But I still played it safe by setting up a meeting with our accountants to determine if my idea for creating a business was viable for me personally for exactly the reason Irish Lass mentioned.
I would have grown to passionately hate the pressure and stress of having to make gobs of soap to meet a deadline instead of wanting to make it for the sheer enjoyment of making it
With the accountants' help and advice, I created my business. I intentionally keep things small enough to be manageable - for instance you can only order from my website by calling or emailing me. But I do a few shows/markets/festivals to generate enough income and word of mouth sales to justify my tax deductions and keep the IRS from declaring my business a 'hobby'.
So far this works for me, and I look at the work I'm doing now as the groundwork for my retirement. I'm slowly but surely building a loyal clientele and a reputation of quality for my business. When I retire in 10 years or so, I hope to supplement my income by doing a circuit of festivals and shows in the places I would want to visit anyway!

@cerelife Oh the 12 hr shifts !! Hate and Love all at the same time. Unfortunately at my ER I always got nailed with the Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon shifts at least once a month. That took me 2 days to recover the older I got. Took a Trauma Surgeon's personal Secretary/Reception spot, M-F and didn't look back ! A lot more Drama in the office setting but nice when we have a Blizzard and the office is closed ;) plus I get up and sleep at the same time just about every day.

I started back in '04 or '05 for our sensitive skin, worked PT back then and had a very small child at home. Then thought to sell some of the extras at a market. Did ok, made back the Fee plus I think $50 so not bad for a VERY tiny market of 8 vendors.
Then life happened, divorce, moving, raising 2 kids alone with no child support. Just couldn't afford the supplies or time.

Now I can, money and time, so I want to really give it a go. Just needed to stop procrastinating, finalize on a recipe and GO.
So while I am not 'new' to soaping, I am new to some different techniques and making CP instead of HP.

I think most people don't realize how time consuming it can be to own a small business, even the tiniest of tiny small biz. You might make the best soap in the universe, but if you don't have ready cash, marketing skills, people skills, and the ability to manage your resources, it doesn't matter how wonderful your soap is nor how beautiful your packaging and designs are. You can't have a viable business without being willing to also learn the skills needed to run a business.

It usually takes most small businesses 3-5 years to really get things figured out. During that time, a person must be able to pump in outside money (don't quit your day job!), build solid business skills, deal with the inevitable cash flow problems, and develop a decent market. Many fail instead due to lack of resources -- time, money, energy -- and a decent market.

"...Small businesses fail for several reasons, but the most common reasons include a lack of demand, poor management, and cash flow issues...." https://www.fundera.com/blog/what-percentage-of-small-businesses-fail

I'm not saying that a person shouldn't try it ... just be realistic and practical rather than starry eyed about what you're getting into.

DeeAnna, that's a great article you linked!

I agree, the "business" side of it is what kills most hobbiest turned business owners...it's why I'm staying small for now and haven't expanded. Working 12 hour shifts (which I prefer over 8s actually!) on nights (sigh) I thought would give me more time for the business side...but that hasn't worked out yet (sleeeeeep). It's all the "little" things adding up cost wise that can kill a small business. Ooooh I need fancy business cards! Brochures! Banners! Displays! Tablecloths! Packaging! Info signs! A website! Payment processor! 30% self employed tax! Next thing you know, wham, no profit much less paying yourself...

I have been soaping for many years. My son as a child, had eczema, so I made tallow soap for him a couple of times a year. He loved it. Then I discovered other oils. I was hooked. I have tweeted the recipe until I love it. I make lots of soap, but have no desire to sell it. I give it away to almost everyone. When I have a batch that I either don’t like the fragrance or the design is “ugly” and a Christmas time I donate soap to the local homeless shelter.
BTW, my son is 45 and still raids my soap stash.

Even though I sell my soap at one local gift shop and on my (non-B&B) website, I still consider my soapmaking to be a hobby. The modest demand from the gift shop and from a few friends and family let me make enough soap often enough to make the hobby worth pursuing. If someone came to me with a proposal to add enough volume of sales to turn my soap making into a "real" business, I'd most likely turn them down.

I don't have any desire to do craft shows or farmer markets any more, which seems to be the way a lot of soap makers sell their wares. Shows/markets can sometimes be fun, and they can be a good way to advertise one's business. I don't see them, however, as the sole way to make a business viable or pay the owner a living wage. I don't think I've ever done a show/fair and actually felt like I could even pay myself at minimum wage for the time involved.

Back