Do you insulate milk soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Want to try a milk soap, but have heard that it can get pretty hot. Have also heard that one should cover it and then uncover it on the second day and let it cool..
Any thoughts out there?
thanks...

When I tried making milk soap the first time it got hot enough to split the top. Still good soap, just not very pretty. So I now put my milk soaps in the refrigerator. So no, I do not insulate it. (When it split, it was not insulated, just sitting out on the counter.)

You can unsulate them but they will turn brown and you run the risk of over heating (a very depressing thing to cut into because it can look like termites got inside your soap :( ) I will only insulate my milk soaps if i substituted 50% or less of goats milk, and goats milk only. other then that its straight to the freezer they go so they dont get a chance to heat up.

I put my milk soap into the freezer for an hour or two or five, then move it to the fridge. I usually freeze/fridge them a total of 48 hours (probably longer than necessary) then I let the loaf sit on the counter several more hours before I cut. If I need my mold I do go ahead and unmold when I take it out of the fridge. In fact, I have unmolded the soap after 24 hours then put it back in the fridge minus the mold if I need it sooner.

I use individual molds (the BB 12 cavity square mold) when I make milk soaps and just leaving them on the counter I haven't had a problem with overheating. My buttermilk bastile usually turns a very light tan color. I don't insulate the soap, but I also don't put them in the freezer or fridge. I prefer to gell so I just set them out and they are fine. Now that I think about it, I haven't made a milk soap with my wooden molds yet. Not sure what I'd do. Maybe leave the cover off?

Milk soap

I use goat milk all the time and even though I'm not a "seasoned" soap maker, I find no problems letting it go through regular hell phase. I put my mold in a cardboard box and then wrap it in towels. I've red that if u put it in freezer for 12 hrs it will keep it from gelling and have a whiter look to it. I've not done this yet though

My two goats milk went to fridge to stop gel. My cream soap
Did not but I had it in a silicon mold with no cover.

Nope. I use wooden molds and frozen goat's milk in place of 100% of the water. I only cover with freezer paper and NO blankets or towels.

I tried to gel my last batch of goat milk, it overheated and separated. It was a mess, had to rebatch it. Milk soaps will go in the freezer for now on.

Wow! thanks for all the replies.Does the milk soap get too hot why it cracks and does "funky" things?
Why wouldn't you want the soap to completely gel, ? Is it so tempermental that it is better to not gel it completely?
thanks again..:!:

Yes, its the sugars in the milk that causes it to overheat. Gelling will help your soap set a bit faster and give it a different look (not as creamy) but its not necessary and won't affect the end product. I prefer not to gel my soaps, less chance of something going wrong.
I did have a batch partial gel last night. Its kinda ugly but is only a visual flaw, soap is completely fine. To gel or not to gel is a personal preference, do what you like and works best for you.

Back