Do customers buy unscented soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sell quite a bit of unscented. As stated, there are always some folks who can't handle scents or colors, so they really like the option. I also make a bar that's higher conditioning that I use clays in that those folks really like as well.

I have several that sell well. 100% olive oil; an olive oil blend with oatmeal, goat milk, and honey; a salt bar; a basic shower soap (that one being the least sold). That said, 95% of my sales are scented soaps.

Of my regular bars, half are unscented, and sell just as well as the scented. My biggest selling bar is unscented activated charcoal. I use both eos and fos for my scented. No matter what I say people still pick up and smell all the bars. The majority of my customers just want a simple bar without additives that will clean. They seem to appreciate pretty bars (I only use botanicals or clays), but don't necessarily search them out. Having said that, I also have many clients who are only interested in smelly bars and don't care about the ingredients. Confused? :???:

My best-selling soap online - I just offered it in an unscented variety and had 3 orders in 3 days. Have a festival coming up this weekend, eager to see how it does in person!

Unscented is a fabulous seller for me. People are always thankful to find unscented.

I had a lot of people ask for unscented when I started selling. I added a few to my line and I can't really say I sell a lot of them with the exception of the facial soaps.

Thanks for all the replies. I made a batch of 16 small white unscented salt soaps to see how they sell. I hadn't even thought of adding color to an unscented soap, but I'll try a light blue base with white swirls to make like a sky and cloud effect, I think that would be a good color combination for my next unscented soaps. I'll also make unscented non salt soaps soon as I want to offer a few non salt bars as well.

Yeah it's a nice soap too made with oatmilk and ground oatmeal. I have been washing the dog with it and the vet can't believe how soft my Coco is ( she's a Pitbull ) maybe i should market it as dog soap?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Soap Making mobile app

Dogs have sensitive skin. I would do my research very carefully before considering the marketing of soap for use on animals.

My unscented soap was the first one I sold out on online. However the 2 stores who sells my soap cant get rid of them to save their lives :confused:

Perhaps this is where you could learn a valuable business lesion this situation. Rather than having soap in two sales mediums, especially when one is not selling and one is selling out of, that you continue making the same amount but to have it be an "Online Only" product. There are many places that practice this. Doing this could mean that you sell out of them still but at a higher quantity or that you at least have some in stock for those online orders to prevent being sold out. Both are good problems to have...lol

Reading the above advice sounds like its coming off snotty, I assure you that is not my intent...lol Guess Im not sure how to word this advice and have it not come off that way. Anyway it may be something worth thinking about. Would be tragic to have soap sit out and collect dust. ;)

Last edited:
Dogs have sensitive skin. I would do my research very carefully before considering the marketing of soap for use on animals.

I agree. I make a doggie bar and researched it very carefully to make a very, very gentle, non-irritating bar. I have a goldendoodle with super sensitive skin, and most of her itching has gone away after switching her to my soap. Emu oil and colloidal oatmeal seem to be really good in it. I'd love to use some EOs that fleas don't like, but am playing it safe and using only a very small quantity of lavender, or unscented.

I was wondering about those who sell soaps, do you have an unscented bar and how well does it sell?

Thanks

I have only been selling soap for about six months, and no one has requested a bar of unscented soap yet...

Back