Discolored Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlsweet

Reaction score
I made some tallow using store bought beef fat last month using a recipe that said to cook it down in water and salt and got a fairly good white looking tallow.

Yesterday I found another recipe that just said to cook it in a roaster. Which I did. Today it's discolored.

Is there anything I can do to get it looking white. Sounds like I should have used the water and salt technique.
Can I just add water and some salt and or baking soda to the fat and see if this will clean it up?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any experience or advice.

You don't need to use salt or baking soda to clean your fat. Try plain water and see how it goes.

Wet render it again, you need to remove the suspended proteins and oxidized oils. Melt it with some water (half the volume of the fat works well), some baking soda, and some salt. Simmer a while (to mix the oil with the water well for a while) and then cool. Should remove most of the color and odor of cooked beef.

Repeat if it still smells like hamburgers off the grill. You should end up with nice white tallow at the end. Melted tallow is always pale yellow, but it should be quite white when solidified.

I render tallow for years and never ever used water, waste of time, It is true you have to stir it frequently on the beginning, but that it, later is simmers on the lowest heat, it does by itself..... and I usually render 20 lb of tallow then freeze it

Update and water vs not question

Well, I went ahead put it in water last night and added a small amt of salt and soda since I'd added salt the first time with the water while rendering it down.
Noticed that as soon as I put in the salt it made impurities rise. As it simmered I skimmed off foam. I thought this was the right thing to do. Seems like I read that somewhere else one time.

It's still not as white, so I'm washing it again. Not adding anymore salt or soda. I don't want to overkill it, and one of you kind soapers mentioned they didn't add salt at all. So, will see how this 2nd washing turns out.

Question about no using no water. If you don't use water then how does it clean out the impurities? Do you just keep on melting and remelting until it gets the white you want?

Thanks again to you all for helping.

Maybe once done I can post a picture if I can figure that out. It's been awhile since I've been ont his type of forum. No worries about answering this one. I see an attachment option. lol

I don't use lard or tallow but I've read on this forum that a lot of people use the salt and soda on the first wash the just use water on the second and third wash and more washes if required.

Thank you all, I am now in my 3rd wash. It's looking whiter. Might have to give it a 4th. And, only used water these other times. In the future I'll leave the salt out as another member mentioned. I believe just washing should continue to take the impurities out. Happy Soaping!!

Back