Disaster...*UPDATE*

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
barred rock said:
I put the exact amount of water that the recipe that I ran through soapcalc called for so I am not really understanding that?

The amount of water is a variable, you can go up or down. Soapcalc is helpful, but you must understand the chemistry of what you're doing. It spits out hard numbers. You have to be able to interpret these numbers with a clear understanding of what you're doing, and why.

Think of soapmaking in terms of cakes; like the difference between buying a cake at the bakery, making a cake from a box mix, baking from scratch or creating your own recipe.

I put the exact amount of water that the recipe that I ran through soapcalc called for so I am not really understanding that?

As Deda mentioned - water amount is a variable. How much water did you formulate your batch to have when you were entering your recipe on the SoapCalc? I ask because you want to make sure to use what is known as a 'full water' amount when making soap via HP to account for the excess evaporation that takes place during cook.

IrishLass :)

Amy,

A childs body is nothing like an adults body. Their skin has a lower hydration level, is thinner, is more absorbent, and has lower levels of lipids (oils) on the skins surface. All of these factors added together mean childrens' skin is far more "sensitive to a range of environmental conditions" in part because "they have a larger skin surface area to weight ratio. This means that chemicals absorbed through the skin have a greater effect. It also means that their heat regulation differs." So... just because it is safe to use on an adult does not mean it is safe to use on a child.

You should read the facts here: http://www.00www.clinuvel.com/dermatolo ... drens-skin

oscurochu said:
Without a thermometer, you must wait for it to reach room temperature (the lye solution and oils) before mixing which might take hours if doing a large batch.

I don't use a thermometer, and I don't let my lye solution or oils/butters cool usually, unless I am trying to do something fancy. I know a lot of people do, I'm just saying that it isn't absolutely necessary.

AmyW said:
I'm curious if I'm using the recipe I'm using now (unscented, uncolored, that at least 8 kids are using - my wedding soaps, gifts, my own kids) in 10 years, what would change?

By scalded, you mean lye burn, correct (first time I've noticed the term scalded used here)? What is to prevent a 10 year soaping veteran from screwing up a batch and creating a caustic soap? How would they know?

Also, when I first started here, I came here asking for help because I was making wedding soap and I made it really clear that I was making them for adults and kids - what's different? No one even hinted in anyway that a newbie soap maker shouldn't be making soap for kids. I've never gotten even a hint anywhere online not to let kids use a newbie soap maker's soap, only to be cautious with scents and colors.

I can't really think of a way to ask without sounding combative, but I'm not being combative. I honestly am curious.

I think it's mostly paranoia or liability issue because some soapers have made bad soap by accident and just wouldn't want to recommend to a newbie something that could be harmful. Back when everybody used to make soap, it wasn't just a hobby but a necessity, people didnt worry too much about, "im not experienced enough to use this on kids." i wasnt there, but i couldnt imagine... It's either you clean your kids with the soap you made or have them go dirty.

If you want to be safe, do zap tests (hp: if it zaps, its not done cooking; add hot water), and even get ph meter or some ph paper. Making HP soap is also a good idea because the the lye is suppose to finish reacting by the end of the process, meaning a soap that is not caustic unless you measured your lye wrong. I guess with CP soap, you always take that chance of having a soap that is too caustic because you rely on time alone for the ph to go down.

oscurochu said:
I think it's mostly paranoia because some soapers have made bad some by accident and just wouldn't want to recommend to a newbie something that could be harmful.

I kind of thought that myself but the post keeps get edited and I can't remember exactly what the previous version said.

Ah well, I'll drop it.

oscurochu said:
AmyW said:
I'm curious if I'm using the recipe I'm using now (unscented, uncolored, that at least 8 kids are using - my wedding soaps, gifts, my own kids) in 10 years, what would change?

By scalded, you mean lye burn, correct (first time I've noticed the term scalded used here)? What is to prevent a 10 year soaping veteran from screwing up a batch and creating a caustic soap? How would they know?

Also, when I first started here, I came here asking for help because I was making wedding soap and I made it really clear that I was making them for adults and kids - what's different? No one even hinted in anyway that a newbie soap maker shouldn't be making soap for kids. I've never gotten even a hint anywhere online not to let kids use a newbie soap maker's soap, only to be cautious with scents and colors.

I can't really think of a way to ask without sounding combative, but I'm not being combative. I honestly am curious.

I think it's mostly paranoia or liability issue because some soapers have made bad soap by accident and just wouldn't want to recommend to a newbie something that could be harmful. Back when everybody used to make soap, it wasn't just a hobby but a necessity, people didnt worry too much about, "im not experienced enough to use this on kids." i wasnt there, but i couldnt imagine... It's either you clean your kids with the soap you made or have them go dirty.

If you want to be safe, do zap tests (hp: if it zaps, its not done cooking; add hot water), and even get ph meter or some ph paper. Making HP soap is also a good idea because the the lye is suppose to finish reacting by the end of the process, meaning a soap that is not caustic unless you measured your lye wrong. I guess with CP soap, you always take that chance of having a soap that is too caustic because you rely on time alone for the ph to go down.

I didn't know that I could have added water to it at the end and probably saved the batch!?? I will have to put that in my reference file.

My recipe ran through soapcalc called for 5.41 oz of water and 2.319 oz of lye. I didn't know that the water was negotiable...thats the first I have heard of that on here. If that is the case I would rather go with more water all the time than less. Does having more water change the chemistry of the soap or is the water just a 'vehicle' as long as the lye amount stays the same?

The only purpose of the water is to make mixing the oils and lye possible. otherwise, your soap would become crumbly before all of the lye has reacted and you will have ton of excess oil and lye that has not reacted. Water does not change the make up of the soap, it will just yeild longer cure times if used in excess.

More water is always better. The worst that can happen is you'll have longer cure times (cp), longer cook times (hp), or a liquid soap.

I think Tabitha was trying to gently say that a newbie, with crappy scales, and no real sense of the what and why shouldn't be testing his soap on a child.

As far as whats stopping a 10 year veteran? Well, generally, when we make mistakes we know - the soap acts different, the consistency is off. It's the subtle nuisances that a veteran would notice and a newbie wouldn't. Plus, we measure twice, pour once. It's a habit.

Do you knit? Crochet? I often don't even look when I'm working on something, just sort of feel my way through - yet as soon as I slip a stitch, go one too many or screw it up in some other way, I know it. It just doesn't feel right. That took me years to learn the textures and subtleties, thankfully soaping doesn't take that long. But your second batch? No Way. Sorry.

I'll end with the disclaimer that it is the purpose of the mod team to thwart dangerous advice and discourage potentially dangerous behavior.

I understand Deda. I edited my post and tried to get the quote removed because it really isn't needed but the poster didn't want to lol. Just pretend its not there, move along, nothing to see here....

oscurochu said:
The only purpose of the water is to make mixing the oils and lye possible. otherwise, your soap would become crumbly before all of the lye has reacted and you will have ton of excess oil and lye that has not reacted. Water does not change the make up of the soap, it will just yeild longer cure times if used in excess.

More water is always better. The worst that can happen is you'll have longer cure times (cp), longer cook times (hp), or a liquid soap.

Awsome!! I feel like I have a new lease on the soaping life! Can't wait to make my daughter some soap ;)

I am not sure if that (those) comments were supposed to be funny, cute or patronising ladies, but I don't have the energy to baby sit tonight so I will just ixnay this thread with a stern warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back