Diluting liquid castile soap. Can it be done?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabWitch

Reaction score
Hi All:
I made a batch (my first attempt) at liquid castile soap over the weekend (it was mostly OO with a small amount of PO). It took a lot longer for the paste to melt down into the water/borax solution than I had expected, and as it was past my bed time by that point, I turned the stove off and left it.

Now I have a beautiful, clear, but very thick soap, with some residual zones of not-quite-fully-melted paste in it. Does anyone know if would work to add more water and boil it up again to get rid of them, or would that wreck it?

Thanks
Alison

It will dissolve given sufficient time and maybe a little more water. Do NOT boil it. It boils over so esdi,y I can almost guarantee a mess.

When I dilute my paste I add hot water, cover, and let sit a few days. Srsly.

when i do liquid castile, i have to dilute down to about 15%... i add in a few ounces at a time, stir, and let sit for days, just like carebear. it probably takes me about a week to make to perfection.

Thanks both of you!
The residual paste does appear to be "dissolving" slowly. Fortunately I don't need the pot for anything else right now, so I'll try adding a bit more water and just letting it sit.

Latest posts

Back