DID I USE TOO MUCH ESSENTIAL OIL????LEMONGRASS HELP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namastecreations

Reaction score
I made a batch of lovely soap last night ~ that has 84oz of oils, 30 oz water, and 12oz lye ~ I used 1.5 oz lemongrass EO, 1.5 oz Grapefruit EO, and 1 oz Lime EO ~ for a total of 4oz EO's ~ It smells AMAZING~ but very strong ~ and I am worried that I did too much oil and it might be irritating?? I of course will test it when it is cured, but just wondering for those of you who have used Lemongrass ~ Is that amount okay with that much other stuff??

I personally don't think you over did it--they are citrus EOs, you have no anchor---so they will fade tremendously.

Wait a couple weeks, it will be very mild, scent wise.

Depending on the EO's that I am using, I generally use 1oz per lb total batch weight if they are milder scents, and 1oz per lb of oils if they are stronger scents. Your 'scent to batch' volume ratio is relatively low. I would think you will be just fine. I have never had a customer come back and say they could not use the soap due to irritation. Most sensitivity arises from chemicals in a product, not the scent, (although there are the exceptions, and FO's are chemical based) but even then, the ratio is so low for scent to batch it really doesn't create a problem unless someone is hyper-sensitive. This knowledge comes to me via of my cosmetic R&D background.

Even the mildest of commercial baby soaps have scent. People just generally blame the scent because it's the most tangible. They don't think about all the chemicals that the bars contain because they can not see or smell 'them'.

And that's where we come in :)

Not to worry, I think your soap sounds yummy and will be just fine.

Sygrid

Latest posts

Back