Deodorant Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbly Buddha

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make this? What makes a soap deodorizing? Is it added scent? Additives? I thought about adding baking soda, but how much? Does it do anything?
Would upping the cleansing be a good idea?

Bubbly Buddha said:
Has anyone tried to make this? What makes a soap deodorizing? Is it added scent? Additives? I thought about adding baking soda, but how much? Does it do anything?
Would upping the cleansing be a good idea?

I've wondered the same thing. Glad you asked.

You cannot claim that your soap is deodorizing. If you do, then it's considered an over the counter drug. FDA fines are pretty steep if they find you. I wouldn't risk it.

soapbuddy said:
You cannot claim that your soap is deodorizing. If you do, then it's considered an over the counter drug. FDA fines are pretty steep if they find you. I wouldn't risk it.

So how do soap companies like Dial and Safegaurd get away with it? Do they pay the fines or are they in a different class than regular soap makers? What makes them have the ability to advertise it as a deodorant soap?

tespring said:
soapbuddy said:

So how do soap companies like Dial and Safegaurd get away with it? Do they pay the fines or are they in a different class than regular soap makers? What makes them have the ability to advertise it as a deodorant soap?
They get expensive testing done. Some of the soaps aren't even true soaps; they are detergent based synthetic bars, which is a different category. It's no longer a soap, but a cosmetic. http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productand ... 115449.htm

Just like any business, you pay more, you can do more. The feds want to to make darn sure they get their cut. There is some common sense reasoning behind it, to protect the general population from someone who might sell some gawdawful concoction as a miracle skin cure, but for the rest of soapmakers who can't afford thousands just so they can say their bar is moisturizing or soothing, it sucks.

I was going to make wooden kid's toys some time ago. Then the feds decided any product developed for children under 12 had to be tested (costing thousands per item) and I said screw it. The US claims to support small business, but everything I see, from my own experience, says we're not. It's sad.

I don't sell my soap so it is just for my own interest. I was looking for a way to increase the cleansing properties of my soap as I feel sometimes it is too creamy and not cleaning as well as I would like.

Do I just up the cleaning numbers (as in Soap Calc) or is it just a matter of upping the FO or EO?

Bubbly Buddha said:
I don't sell my soap so it is just for my own interest. I was looking for a way to increase the cleansing properties of my soap as I feel sometimes it is too creamy and not cleaning as well as I would like.

Do I just up the cleaning numbers (as in Soap Calc) or is it just a matter of upping the FO or EO?

I make a blend of Litsea Cubeba, Ginger and Patchouli EO's which some of my customers claim to be a deodorant soap. Their claim, not mine :)
2 parts Litsea
1 part Ginger
1 part Patchouli

I use and like Tom's of Maine unscented deodorant. The container says it uses hobs to inhibit growth of bacteria and zinc ricinoleate to absorb odors. I wonder of those things would work in soap. Tea tree oil maybe too?

All soap cleans. The "cleansing" on soap calc, I believe, refers to how well it strips the natural oils from your skin. If your number is around 14-20, you have plenty of cleansing without killing all the natural oils. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here!

Latest posts

Back