Baking soda clumping in deodorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmsx9342

Reaction score
I came up with a deodorant recipe I absolutely love, but I keep having the issue of the baking soda making small little clumps in it after a few days. I use arrowroot powder and only 2% of the recipe is baking soda since it irritates my skin otherwise. I know it is the baking soda because my other recipe is the exact same just without the baking soda, and it doesn’t get the clumps. I make sure to mix it really well and add slowly. Maybe I am just not mixing well enough? I love that it works but I can’t sell it with the clumps. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Try to keep mixing it while it cools. FWIW, I stopped using baking soda because so many of my family members reacted badly to it. Magnesium hydroxide works really well instead.

I second the suggestion to mix while cooling. It's essential to evenly suspend something like baking soda. I really like Humblebee & Me's ice bath method for this.

What sort of base formula is your deodorant? Is it like a lotion bar, with oils and waxes? Or a gelled stick with sodium stearate and a glycol?

Latest posts

Back