Cucumber Yogurt Soap - New pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlm884

Reaction score
I was bored so I decided to run up to the grocery store and got a couple cucumbers and some plain Greek yogurt.

SWO - 4%
Grapeseed - 4%
Coconut - 17.5%
Palm Oil - 16.5%
Lard - 20%
Olive Oil - 33%
Castor - 5%
Super Fat - 5.5% (I have no idea why I chose that number :S)

I dissolved 124grams of lye in 114g of cucumber puree. After acheieving thin trace I added another 112g of cucumber puree and 127grams of 2% plain greek yogurt. As you can see from the picture, I won't be gelling it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GREEN! I can't wait to see what it looks like cut...

I have a container just like that (I think - mine is small). I have no idea what it originally was... do you? How do you get the soap out?

Its a drawer organizer by Rubbermaid. I work at a hardware store and get a discount on most things so I picked one up! its pretty flexible, so I oil it with a bit of olive oil and then let it sit in the mold for 1-2 days, then freeze it for an hour or so. Then I pull on the sides and ends to separate it from the mold then tap the bottom until it falls out. Sometimes it needs a little help and I stick a knife in the sides and separate it from the walls like you would a cake.

I think next time I make this I am going to add all the cucumber at trace, the lye browned it a bit and killed the color a bit. The yogurt killed the green a bit too so I might at more cucumber peels next time too! But I think its going to turn out great, I am excited. It should be super creamy.

Edit: Look at that big jug of aloe juice in the back there. I need to make some soap with that bad boy!

That looks really pretty!

Regardless of when the lye and the cucumber come together, it will become less vibrant and more towards olive drab over time. Still nice, but more earthy than bright.

I thought I would but strangely enough I didn't. The puree was very thick and chunky before I added the lye, but as soon as I added it it got more fluid. I stirred it for about 5 minutes to make sure it was good and dissolved then let it sit for about 45 minutes while I got all my oils prepared. I did add a touch of water after I poured the lye solution in the oils to the measuring cup to rinse the sides down and to make sure I got all the lye out.

I love the vibrant green.

How do soaps made with fresh products like fruits/veg/yoghurt go with shelf life?

Thanks for sharing.

Sharna

Mine last a really long time with fresh ingredients (I have never had one go bad). I think the big factor is getting it to a puree and not having any chunks, if using fruit/veg.

The cucumber soap I made was super soft at first and has now hardened up quite nicely :) It's neat because the cuke peels stay green in the soap so there are little flecks of green and it looks nice.

:(

So sorry to see that things didn't turn out well.

Maybe you could gently rebatch?

Let us know how things turn out with the next batch as well... this soap sounded really fun and interesting

Well, I would have had to rebatch anyhow. The middle overheated and gelled and then seperated and is oozing.

Here is the unmolded picture after the soap was rebatched.

And the next two pictures of all my soap I have collected (minutes 10 bars which I forgot to include in the picture)

I like your collection of soaps, they all look very wholesome :wink:

Bugger on the soap overheating. Your rebatch seems to have gone well.
How does the soap smell?? I made a cucumber & yoghurt soap recently & I can't stand the smell of it.
Did u fragrance it or leave it natural??

So sad that your soap overheated. But I'm really amazed how well the color survived the rebatch. I'm sure it will be great to use.

The color has done really well and I hope it doesn't brown or anything. The smel... well the smell is disgusting. I didn't use an FO or EO and just left it unscented. So hopefully the smell fades during the cure.

Latest posts

Back