CPOP Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleiades

Reaction score
I had a go at CPOP yesterday. I used a 100% olive oil recipe with no additives. My reason for this being that I've made a previous batch which I left to gel by itself so I've something to compare against.

I put in a preheated oven at 50C for an hour and then I left overnight.

My soap when cut seemed mottled. I was surprised as I thought the process of 'forcing' the gel phase would assure a better colour to my soap.

has it partially gelled or is this perfectly normal?

[attachment=0:2a9xu44h]soap.jpg[/attachment:2a9xu44h]

Attachments

• soap.jpg
    soap.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 203
That's weird. Usually when you get partial gel it begins from the inside and radiates outward like a circle. I've never seen this kind of pattern before.

The only time I made Castille (which I've decided I hate), I soaped at close to room temperature and it still did a partial gel in the refrigerator!

It almost looks like pockets of oil. Hmm. My last batch had a very small spot on the bottom of a couple of bars that looked that way and were very soft. I just put it up to see what would happen. Looked like oil pockets, but I haven't popped them to see. Soap zit.
Did you leave the light on in the oven? Could the oven have cooled down quick and not acted as insulation?
Still, it doesn't look like partial gel. Could it be stearic? I've had stearic streaks but not patterns like that.
I use CPOP and partial gel has not been a problem for me.

Where is the soap wizard?

My partial gel when I didn't CPOP looked like this:
IMG_1243-1.jpg

4 days later, the mottling has almost disappeared. The soap seems hard in all places.

Yes, I left the light on, being the first time I sat watching it in case there was a disaster. I've used my oven, once turned off, to dry sea salt before and always felt that it's insulating properties were good.

Should I perhaps have left the oven on for longer than an hour?

pleiades said:
4 days later, the mottling has almost disappeared. The soap seems hard in all places.

Yes, I left the light on, being the first time I sat watching it in case there was a disaster. I've used my oven, once turned off, to dry sea salt before and always felt that it's insulating properties were good.

Should I perhaps have left the oven on for longer than an hour?

I leave mine in the oven for 2 hours, then remove and wrap in 3 large towels for the next 22. Maybe longer would have helped but sounds as if all is fine anyway.

Back