CPOP in Silicone? 200 degrees?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
Got some cute Halloween molds yesterday, and now I want to use them before the Holiday is over!

Can I CPOP in silicone molds? I don't see why not, but it's better to ask than totally screw something up.

Also, my oven's lowest temp is 200. Should I leave it in at 200 for less than an hour, and then shut it off? Will the higher heat cause the soap to volcano out of the molds?

I do probably 99% of my CP soaps ITMHP I guess there are different terms for the process ...

Anyway, I put them in the oven @ 170 for 2 hours, then turn the oven off and let it sit until the next day ... take it out, cut it and use it. It's usually pretty hard but like with any soap the longer it sits the harder it gets. I use silicone molds and wooden molds and have never had a problem ... been doing it that way for years.

HTH

I kept overheating my soap at 170 when I left the oven on. I now preheat and turn it off when I put the soap in- full gel every time. Silicone molds will be fine with the heat. If your worried (or just in case) stick an old cookie sheet under the soap.
200 should be ok but I wouldn't leave it on with the soap in. Just an opinion though.

Stinkydancer said:
I kept overheating my soap at 170 when I left the oven on. I now preheat and turn it off when I put the soap in- full gel every time. Silicone molds will be fine with the heat. If your worried (or just in case) stick an old cookie sheet under the soap.
200 should be ok but I wouldn't leave it on with the soap in. Just an opinion though.

+1

I think that at full gel, soap gets to about 180 degrees. I do what stinkydancer does after I had a couple of batches overheat.

Well it definitely did not overheat or explode!

My only issue is that the top of the soap looks kinda foamy. I will probably just shave it off, though.

I prefer regular CP for texture, but this method for quickness.

adoptapitbull said:
Got some cute Halloween molds yesterday, and now I want to use them before the Holiday is over!

Can I CPOP in silicone molds? I don't see why not, but it's better to ask than totally screw something up.

Also, my oven's lowest temp is 200. Should I leave it in at 200 for less than an hour, and then shut it off? Will the higher heat cause the soap to volcano out of the molds?

Sorry I didn't notice you said your ovens lowest temp is 200 so saying I do mine at 170 for 2 hours wasn't much help :oops:

Yeah, I knew that 170-180 was like the magic range. I tried turning the knob just below 200, so maybe that helped.

Either way, it worked! It's cool to have the look of CP with the quickness of HP.

adoptapitbull said:
Well it definitely did not overheat or explode!

My only issue is that the top of the soap looks kinda foamy. I will probably just shave it off, though.

I prefer regular CP for texture, but this method for quickness.
If the top looked foamy, it was just starting to overheat. If I have to CPOP, I leave the soap in the oven just long enough til it gels, then I take it out and let it cool.

I shaved off the thin layer of foam, and all is well. Tried a sliver today and it's very nice. Got me a soap beveler over the weekend so I've been having fun with that. I love how hard these soaps are after just a few days!

Back