CP Intimidation!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KattChaos

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So, I really wanna do CP but I'm so intimidated by it. I'm the kind of person that learns from watching others or following very well written step by step instructions. I was wondering if you know if any YouTube videos that fit this description?

Thank you... Bunches,
Katt

All I did was type into Google - beginners CP soap making video. Lot's to choose from, just take your pick.
Here's one from Soap Queen
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7mvbAdYWc[/ame]

I've been watching some of hers but so far she hasn't shown how to make the Lye water. That's the most intimidating part to me. I'll keep watching her though and maybe she eventually will. Thank you, bunches! :)

Respect the lye, sure. But there's no need to fear it. If you're wearing proper eye protection and gloves, the very, very worst that can happen - if everything goes horribly, horribly wrong - is a chemical burn that's not much worse than a bad sunburn. Assuming you have the common sense to rinse off anything spills on you. You can still buy lye in a spray can to clean your oven, and I don't know about you but my mother used to use that stuff without eye protection or a respirator! Aerosol propelled lye!

The point is that it's nothing to fear. Put on your PPE, measure your lye and water, then pour the lye crystals into the water while stirring. Do that in a ventilated area and don't put your face over it while you do it. After that just set aside to cool to whatever temp you want.

Soap queen is pretty good, aside from using pyrex to mix her soap in.

Mixing lye water? Measure out your dry lye into a lye safe container. If you'll be adding the lye to your water elsewhere, use something with a tight fitting lid. Measure your water into the container you're going to add the lye to. In a well ventilated area, add the dry lye to your measured out water. Stir, and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Check to be sure there aren't any undissolved bits floating around. That's really it. You can let it sit to cool, or plunge into an ice bath (be careful not to spill!).

I've been watching some of hers but so far she hasn't shown how to make the Lye water. That's the most intimidating part to me. I'll keep watching her though and maybe she eventually will. Thank you, bunches! :)

Check the first SQ Video- Lye Safety & Ingredients, Episode 1. She mixes the lye and water at 5:21.

Hey everyone! So, I really wanna do CP but I'm so intimidated by it. I'm the kind of person that learns from watching others or following very well written step by step instructions. I was wondering if you know if any YouTube videos that fit this description?

Thank you... Bunches,
Katt

Yes! Go to You tube and search for Soap Queen TV. She has a lot of video tutorials. Start with the four she has on learning to make soap. She is safety conscious also. Have fun! It's an addiction. :smile:

I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of us were nervous about the lye the first few times. I know I sure was. I had to realize that if all of these other people could do it, I could too. And so can you. Like the others have advised, give the lye a healthy respect, wear your PPE, and know it will be easier after the first time you do it. And no matter what you hear/see/read out there on the videos/blogs/tutorials, if you should happen to get a bit of lye solution on your skin, don't put vinegar on it. Simply get to a sink and rinse well under cool, running water.

We're all cheering you on, and can't wait to hear how well it went. And pictures. We love pictures.

Mixing lye solution is no more difficult than mixing powdered Ovaltine into milk, except you'll need to wear goggles and gloves for protection when you do it, and you'll need to protect yourself from breathing in the steamy lye fumes that rise up as you are mixing it. And you definitely don't want to drink it, of course. ;)

Also- you'll see many videos of folks mixing their solution in glass or Pyrex pitchers. The videos may have great visuals and good info otherwise, but please don't follow their lead in that respect. Use either PP#5 plastic or quality stainless steel for safety sake.

IrishLass :)

Mixing lye solution is no more difficult than mixing powdered Ovaltine into milk, except you'll need to wear goggles and gloves for protection when you do it, and you'll need to protect yourself from breathing in the steamy lye fumes that rise up as you are mixing it. And you definitely don't want to drink it, of course. ;)

Also- you'll see many videos of folks mixing their solution in glass or Pyrex pitchers. The videos may have great visuals and good info otherwise, but please don't follow their lead in that respect. Use either PP#5 plastic or quality stainless steel for safety sake.

IrishLass :)

^^^^This!

Thank you, everyone! I feel much less intimidated now. I promise to post pictures :)

Lye isn't radioactive. Respect it but don't cower before it! Wear goggles and gloves (just dish gloves are fine). Measure your water into a plastic container with plenty of headroom (I like to use a plastic pitcher from Dollar tree). Measure your lye into another plastic container. You can use a disposable container, like a Solo cup, if you like. Pour the lye into the water (not the reverse) and stir gently but thoroughly. You don't want some of your lye to settle to the bottom. To stir I like to use a paint stirrer from Home Depot.

Mixing Sodium Hydroxide and distilled H2O is about as easy a task as anything gets. Safety is key and should be foremost in your mind but not to the point of anxiety. Wear the proper gear. If not wearing a respirator, be certain no to breathe vapors or allow them to get in your eyes... but barring that don't spill or splash it. Keep your first batch very small (mine was 1/3 cup lye to 3/4 cup water... I didn't understand enough to use grams or percentages the first time and 3:1 ratio was all I cared about). Don't over think it... and most of all have fun! :)

Latest posts

Back