Cost of Tallow vs. Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I want to try tallow. I am still looking for a local source. I can buy locally 50lbs at over $2 a lb, which I don't want that much tallow in my house with a hot humid summer approaching.

I can order from aaa-chemicals but I will end up paying $4+ a lb for 7 lbs

is there that much of a difference in lard and tallow, that I need to try it?

Lard cost me $1.49 a lb at the super market

Phillysoaps....... do you have a Whole foods market near you? They may possibly have tallow. Just a thought.

Val

I don't understand buying oils at retail prices if you are going to turn around and sell the soap.

Find a way to store it and buy wholesale.

I totally understand using a local retail source for a small amount of an oil to test, or an herb to try out. If it's something you will use continuously in your business save yourself some cash and buy in bulk.

x

you may wish to comparison shop www.soaperschoice.com

they have both refined tallow and lard for .80 cents a pound. refined tallow will keep just fine even here in alabama. i used to keep it in the laundry room/mud room. an unheated/uncooled space next to the garage.

Val said:
Phillysoaps....... do you have a Whole foods market near you? They may possibly have tallow. Just a thought.

Val

yes I do, I will email them and ask...thanks for the ideal

How big is your freezer , philly . I buy 40 lbs at a time and through it in the freezer . You can get the cost way down if you can buy a large amount .

HTH

Kitn

Kitn said:
How big is your freezer , philly . I buy 40 lbs at a time and through it in the freezer . You can get the cost way down if you can buy a large amount .

HTH

Kitn

I am considering the 50lb block...is a "co-op" where I could possibly share and split the 50lbs with another soaper....

Philly, I would definately consider a co-op with you. Columbus Foods has a real good deal on tallow and we could split it between us two, or split it with one or two other folks. I need to make a bunch of soap pretty soon and I'd LOVE to get ahold of some good tallow. I heard that CFs tallow is good. I just don't need 50# of it, ya know!

email me if you want to do a co-op. I can swing it the first of the month (I get paid once a month...ouch! LOL).

[email protected] :D

I just checked CFs tallow... it is $40 for a 50# cube. I checked shipping prices for my area (shipping area 5) and it's $21 and some change. That's still only $1.22 a pound... not too bad. That gives us an idea. Give a yell if you'd like to do it! Thanks!
Bunny

Bunny said:
Philly, I would definately consider a co-op with you. Columbus Foods has a real good deal on tallow and we could split it between us two, or split it with one or two other folks. I need to make a bunch of soap pretty soon and I'd LOVE to get ahold of some good tallow. I heard that CFs tallow is good. I just don't need 50# of it, ya know!

email me if you want to do a co-op. I can swing it the first of the month (I get paid once a month...ouch! LOL).

[email protected] :D

very cool!, I'm ready when you are, if it's cheaper to ship to me first I can order now then forward to you on the first I have a paypal acct if that helps, I am so new at this excuse me :oops:

If you have a Smart & Final store nearby, they sell 50 lb cubes of beef tallow for about $23.00 total (that's their price last time I checked about a year ago). Smart & Final is a chain that sells restaurant supplies in bulk and it's open to the public without having to pay membership fees or anything like that.

IrishLass :)

Holey moley IL... that is cheap. I live in FL and we don't have smart & final here (I sure wish we did). Philly, do you have that store where you live? If not, let's do it! I've been itchin to get some tallow. I'll PM you. :)

We have a Smart and Final in Fort Lauderdale but I didn't find tallow when I was looking for a local source. I didn't want to order a large quantity until I tried some so I asked the clerk in the meat department at Publix if they would save the beef fat. I collected about 10 pounds and rendered it and made soap. It was easier than I thought though not something I would want to do regularly. I just wanted to see the difference between tallow and lard before buying.

Latest posts

Back