Compeating with Dawn

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliChan

Reaction score
So I brag all the time that just about everything I make from scratch is better than the stuff that you can buy in the store. And for the most part they really are better and better for me and my family. But my friend asked me "how does your soap compare to dawn"? Then i realized I haven't made soap for hand washing dishes. I've just been using my regular hand soap for that. Which works great but its no Dawn.
Has any one made a hand/dish soap?
I was thinking about just doing 100% coconut oil. but is there anything else i should put in it? Perhaps to make it more gentile on the skin?

I've been thinking a lot about this too. I don't want to keep purchasing detergents and am tempted to start using some of my scraps to see how they do for dishes...

I just made a true liquid soap that seems to work awesomely, but you need some potassium hydroxide. I used coconut oil and sunflower oil. So far, so good on the hands.

Here's the link to the recipe I used : http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/liquidsoap/ss/basicliquidsoap.htm

I just ran that recipe through soapcalc and it comes out pretty lye heavy x.x even at a 0% superfat it still has .6 oz to more than it should
But aside from that i do like the numbers it gives. How does it compare to Dawn?

Liquid soaps are lye heavy on purpose. You add boric acid or borax to neutralize the extra lye after you dissolve the cooked soap in water. It seems to work okay, but mine needs a chance to sit longer.

Liquid soaps are lye heavy on purpose. You add boric acid or borax to neutralize the extra lye after you dissolve the cooked soap in water. It seems to work okay, but mine needs a chance to sit longer.

Would Citric acid work to neutralize the lye as well?

I am completely new here, however this thread caught my eye since dish soap is what has sent me on my quest for soap making. I found two youtube videos, which is step by step but you can see her recipe. Here is one, I plan to use, I haven't made it yet because I wanted to use my own Castile as the base in the lye, which is curing now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvbOasa2qw[/ame]

I make my own hand dish washing detergent using eco friendly surfactants, than mix that with sweet orange e.o., borax, cream of tartar and white vinegar. It is more expensive than buying Dawn, but I know what is in it and I have the ingredients on hand.

I am completely new here, however this thread caught my eye since dish soap is what has sent me on my quest for soap making. I found two youtube videos, which is step by step but you can see her recipe. Here is one, I plan to use, I haven't made it yet because I wanted to use my own Castile as the base in the lye, which is curing now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvbOasa2qw

I was just looking at that video last night!

I make my own hand dish washing detergent using eco friendly surfactants, than mix that with sweet orange e.o., borax, cream of tartar and white vinegar. It is more expensive than buying Dawn, but I know what is in it and I have the ingredients on hand.

What does the Cream of tarter do for the soap??

I do not think we can make a soap like Dawn. One reason is it is a degresser and detregent that moves the oils and greese to the side. Sorry for spelling long day. :0 It would cost us alot more money to try to make something like it. But to tell the truth our soap is much Kinder on our hands and our dishes.

Yes, but some of us have very hard water and soap just doesn't work well for dishes and laundry. I have tried making my own with homemade liquid soap and cp soap and the grease and soil does not emulsify like it does with a detergent. For those of you who have soft water, it is a great idea to use your own liquid soap or cp soap for dishes and laundry.

2 drops of Dawn in a quart spray bottle filled with water is a great glass cleaner.
Dry with newspaper.

Yes, but some of us have very hard water and soap just doesn't work well for dishes and laundry. I have tried making my own with homemade liquid soap and cp soap and the grease and soil does not emulsify like it does with a detergent. For those of you who have soft water, it is a great idea to use your own liquid soap or cp soap for dishes and laundry.

Cool, I'm going to try using my recycled oil soap for washing dishes too!

Latest posts

Back