Colorants on Bath Salts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieNK

Reaction score
Do you use them? I am thinking of skipping them all together, they really are only for looks. But I am sure they help people's brains associate colors with scents. The last thing I want to do is take a bath in pink or blue or yellow water, etc. Is there a way to color them without it changing the color of the water? By the way, I'm new! Hi! And thanks :lol:

Hello, and welcome. Why not post an introduction. in the Introduction Forum? I am sure everyone would like to know a little more about you.:)

I don't add colour persay, but I do add colourful things like rose petals, lavender buds, chamomile flowers, calendula petals, orange, lime or lemon peel...whatever I have lying around really, to make it look colourful and pretty in the jar. Adding some Himalayan pink salt to the rose petal version gives it a nice colour, too. (I'll sometimes also throw in some colloidal oats or milk powder for extra goodness.) When I use it, I just put some of it in a little sachet and hang it under the tap and then when the bath is filled, I'll just let the bag float around in the water. The salts and milk will dissolve and it's a lot less messy that way than having all the flowery bits floating freely around. Here are a few pics I found randomly on google, to give you the general idea;

rose petal bath salts (Small).jpg

Lavender Bath Salt (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Katie,

Welcome! What are you using that is causing the water to change color? I use mainly FD&C colorants and only a little bit is needed for color. The bombs don't change the color of the water.

I don't use any colorants so far, but I can only imagine that most dyes would change the color of the water. But its good to hear if you only use a little bit of color in bath bombs, it doesn't change the water. However, I was asking in reference to bath salts, where people may tend to use a lot more in their water than the size of a bomb and perhaps you would need a bit more to actually color the salt enough... hmm... Thanks :)

We're leaving our salts white so far to avoid using artificial colors. We've used clay for coloring bath bomb, but I don't think it would work with salts. We had tried mixing lavender buds in one, but then had the problem with cleaning them out of the tub. I like Tienne's idea of using a bag if you want to add botanicals.

However, I was asking in reference to bath salts, where people may tend to use a lot more in their water than the size of a bomb and perhaps you would need a bit more to actually color the salt enough... hmm... Thanks :)

Sorry! My mistake but salts didn't change the color of the water, either. Perhaps I use less colorant than other people.

BTW, I make big bombs. ;)

I use the micas. The 80mm bath bombs with a lot of colorant don't color the water or stain the tub. Of course, I do have a soaker tub, but still, it doesn't provide any hue at all to the water.

Latest posts

Back