Coffee Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's cut! I'm very pleased. Scented with WSP Roasted Coffee and Warm Vanilla Sugar. Smells great! Hoping the bronze mica will stop smearing as it dries and cures. Also hoping with swirls will lighten up a bit.

Coffee.JPG

Soap Cutter.JPG

Looks nice! They must smell awesome :)

Do you wait until the batter is at a medium trace before you add the coffee? And then hand stir it in? ...like when you add chocolate chips to cookie batter. Or does it not matter?

Looks nice! They must smell awesome :)

Do you wait until the batter is at a medium trace before you add the coffee? And then hand stir it in? ...like when you add chocolate chips to cookie batter. Or does it not matter?

Exactly. I poured boiling water over finely ground, dark roast coffee and let it sit all day. I used those grounds in hopes they would not bleed more color, and stirred them in just before I poured the mold and hand stirred.

Awesome! Looks like marbled cake, or a scrumptious Frappuccino {see..told you it looked 'yummo' :razz:}

Pretty neat cutter too :)

Last edited:
Very nice looking soap and I'm sure it smells great too. I recommend piano wire or guitar wire. I'd have to check to see what my husband used exactly on my cutter he made. I think he got the wire from ebay pretty reasonably. I'll find out tonight if you're interested.

Thanks! I did make. Currently using picture hanging wire bot looking for more durable options. Someone suggested fishing leader wire.

The leader wire is stainless, which is nice.

Piano wire that you can get at a hobby shop is regular steel and will rust if exposed to water. Of course hobby shops are pretty rare these days so that might not work.

Instrument strings that are solid (usually the higher notes on guitars, violins, cellos, etc.) I think are stainless and are also of very high temper. If there is a music shop near your house or workplace that would be a good bet (especially if it is privately/family owned ... those folks tend to be pretty knowledgeable about the materials/products).

I'm not aware of any high-tempered equivalents that you could get at Home Depot or Lowes.

Regards-
Dave

Exactly. I poured boiling water over finely ground, dark roast coffee and let it sit all day. I used those grounds in hopes they would not bleed more color, and stirred them in just before I poured the mold and hand stirred.

Did you also use the water as part of the soap? Or did you "toss" the stuff (perhaps you used it to make some tiramisu?)?

:)

Also, out of curiosity, what % of the mass of the soap was coffee grounds?

-Dave

Did you also use the water as part of the soap? Or did you "toss" the stuff (perhaps you used it to make some tiramisu?)?

:)

Also, out of curiosity, what % of the mass of the soap was coffee grounds?

-Dave

Oh yes. I made the soap with the actual coffee. No additional water at all. Believe it or not there is almost no colorant in the dark brown soap. It actual coffee! I believe it used about 2 tsp of brown oxide and maybe 1 tsp of black just to make sure it was dark after gel. The lighter areas were accomplished with TD. For the entire batch of soap (47 total ounces of oils to make these 12 bars) I used about 1/3 cup of the reserved grounds....probably overdid it a bit as it is intended for a body soap instead of a hand soap. It was VERY finely ground....almost powder. Needless to say, the wife will be nicely exfoliated.

I've also heard to use fishing leader wire..7 strand iirc...the guy's article I read it from said he just burned the plastic coating off the wire..and said it was much stronger than a guitar wire....which I guess I can understand since I used to go thru stings on my guitar all the time, {don't play anymore tho} but fishing ..didn't break too many of those lines :)

I've also heard to use fishing leader wire..7 strand iirc...the guy's article I read it from said he just burned the plastic coating off the wire..and said it was much stronger than a guitar wire....which I guess I can understand since I used to go thru stings on my guitar all the time, {don't play anymore tho} but fishing ..didn't break too many of those lines :)

I have some Malin leader wire that I am planning on using for hot-wire cutting of foam. It is 0.018" outside diameter and is solid.

I presume Malin's higher test leader wires are also solid but I am not 100% certain.

-Dave

Latest posts

Back