Coconut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty

Reaction score
First post here, hello everyone! :) I am somewhat new to soap making with just a few batches under my belt so everything is a learning experience for me. I have been trying to emulate my favorite scent, a summery coconut scent found in surf wax. I recently made a batch with Bramble Berry's Island Coconut and the scent is a bit harsh. Since there are so many variables with soap making I'm almost not sure where to start! I am using the Lots of Lather recipe from Anne Marie at Soap Queen and I am wondering if the base itself throws off the scent. I have made an unscented batch and it does seem quite neutral with some hint of the olive oil, but maybe it doesnt mix well with the coconut fragrance? I suppose I could have used too much fragrance oil, but even after some tests with small amounts on cotton swabs it just doesnt seem that close to the coconut smell I was expecting. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on this? I would really appreciate anything as I am stumped on how I should proceed in chasing down this dream scent! :)

Lots of Lather
16 oz. Coconut
16 oz. Palm
16 oz. Olive Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
13 – 19 oz. water
7.4 oz. lye

Hello matty and welcome! :)

What you are experiencing with your coconut scent is not unusual in the least, unfortunately. Along with Soapbuddy, every soaper I know has been on the hunt for that elusive, fresh, sweet coconut scented FO that will hold up true in soap, but alas with no luck to date. :( The closest I ever came to it was Under The Palm Trees from Daystar, but it was very light in my soap even at 1 oz ppo. They no longer carry it anyway, though.

IrishLass :)

:)

Thank you for your feedback! I am both a little relieved and disappointed that others have had a similar experience, but I will just have to continue my coconut quest! Its out there somewhere!

You might want to try Shangri La from Aroma Haven. It has a strong coconut top note. I don't know if it would work in CP soap since I only use MP. It smells good in MP. I had previously used Aroma Haven's Bahama Coconut, but it seemed to go musty in the soap me after awhile so I don't use it anymore. HTH

Today, I thought I'd browse the board for opinions regarding coconut fragrance oil.

I've purchased one and it smells nothing like coconut. Though it is a nice fragrance it is not even close to actual smell. I found myself in the kitchen cupboards comparing it to coconut flakes, coconut oil and some coconut milk I had in the fridge to the fragrance. I am so disappointed.

Ms. Moore, you bring up an interesting point, and something I have thought about myself. Why couldn't you just try throwing unsweetened coconut flakes into a food processor and using the powder as a scent? Unless someone has a specific allergic reaction to coconut, I don't see why that wouldnt be an option. Ive been considering this for a while. Not sure if the process would break down the coconut and/or the scent, but I would think if it survives, the scent would last a bit more than a mixture of chemicals. Maybe an idea to try?

matty said:
Ms. Moore, you bring up an interesting point, and something I have thought about myself. Why couldn't you just try throwing unsweetened coconut flakes into a food processor and using the powder as a scent? Unless someone has a specific allergic reaction to coconut, I don't see why that wouldnt be an option. Ive been considering this for a while. Not sure if the process would break down the coconut and/or the scent, but I would think if it survives, the scent would last a bit more than a mixture of chemicals. Maybe an idea to try?
That won't add scent; sorry.

I wish it were that easy to get scent by adding something real coconut or using the virgin kind of oil. I love Coconut and would love to find a good fragrance oil and one that didn't discolor, even better.

matty said:
Has anyone tried the Crafters Choice Caribbean Coconut? Seems to have generally good reviews although I'm skeptical of how true to life it will be...

Product Info here:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Pr ... ce+Oil+123
I have it. It seems the closest to all the coconut FO's I've tried over the years, but it still has a playdough like scent once cured.

The best I've found is Peak Coconut Milk. Not perfect but better than most and the scent lasts forever. I have some bars over a year old that are still fragrant.

Believe it or not Camden Grey's is pretty good but it's more of a sweet, sun tan lotion kind of coconut.

Here is an update of the scent that I posted a link to. It has kept it's scent nicely and it smells just like coconut ice.

Latest posts

Back