Coconut Oil and Crisco recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesoapmom

Reaction score
I want to make a white soap from the ingredients I have on hand. Does anyone have any tips of using these two oils? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Hi SoapMom! Do you know what kind of bar (besides white) that you want to achieve? According to Soapcalc if you use just those two, it will be really hard bar with high cleansing but conditioning is low so it might be drying. Do you have any canola or sunflower oil to add to make it a little more conditioning?

I am too new to this to know what I want other than white, lol! I have both canola and sunflower oil and am still confused at which %'s to use for everything. Ant help is greatly appreciated!!

If you are not adverse to using lard, that will help give you a white conditioning bar.

Is your OO you have light or EV? Or did you already use all on last recipe. :)

Think I have a sunflower, crisco and coconut but likely have palm or tallow/lard also. Ill look.

I'm not really sure where to get lard from.
Not adverse to using it though. My OO is extra light and I do have a bunch left :)

Lard you can get at a grocery store in either the oils area or the baking section. Look to the bottom shelves and its most always in plastic tubs.

Your OO I would use over canola. Lighter and longer shelf life.

I'm not really sure where to get lard from.
Not adverse to using it though. My OO is extra light and I do have a bunch left :)

Lard is oil from animals. It’s better to use shortening vegetable oil because is from plant and not from animal.

Lard is oil from animals. It’s better to use shortening vegetable oil because is from plant and not from animal.
Most people know lard is from animals ( the OP was not sure where to purchase it and was not adverse to using it ) a lot of soapers choose to use it. Vegetable oil is not always the choice of everyone, one is not better than another. Using plant, maybe your choice, that's your opinion, but not others.

This thread you brought up is from 11 yrs ago. The soap mom hasn't been here in 10 yrs. Please look at the date on the top left hand side of the post, that will give you the most recent ones that are still active.

Those of us who are carnivores or omnivores feel the same way. 😋 (<-- that's for the food, not the soap).

It's also better for the planet to use all the animal parts, rather than using just the meat and discarding the rest.

ETA: and some Crisco still has lard in it, soooo....

I'm very new to cold process soap making. But, after a few batches, I decided to try using both lard and tallow in order to get a lighter bar. I've made 7 batches so far. My last 4 having been Soap Queen's Lots of Lather. On batches 5, 6, and 7, I replaced the palm oil with lard or tallow. I like the idea of using all parts of the animal. I also like having to use less titanium dioxide. It feels more natural. My two adult children are both pescatarians. I asked them what they would think if they saw lard or tallow as an ingredient on soap. They didn't think it was a big deal. I think it's better for the planet to reduce meat consumption. But, I put using the animal fat in another category. I agree that it's all personal preference.

Back