Cleansing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugar_soap

Reaction score
So how cleansing should a soap be? Was going to try a lard, oo and sunflower oil soap but cleansing came out 0. Would this a problem?

It will work but you will find that it probably doesn't have much lather. I would add some sugar to your water and dissolve it before adding your lye and that will help with some bubbles. Castile has a 0 cleansing as well and cleans. There are quite a few soapmakers who like to keep their cleansing number down low. I would give it a try and see how you like it.

I have made soap and a shampoo bar with a cleansing of 0 or 1 and they are nice, but I regularly get pretty grubby so I like 15% coconut oil and 5% castor oil in my 80% lard soap. One of my friends makes a 100% lard soap, and he loves it.

Shunt is right, a bit of sugar will help with the bubbles.

Castor will also help with the lather, keep it down to about 5%, though. I am planning on making a couple of batches of 0 cleansing soap for family members with medical problems that require super gentle soap.

I make facial soap for myself with lard, OO and castor oil only. It's cleansing value is 0. I don't think castor oil is will bump clenasing value up by much, it might remain at 0, 1 at most. But if you prefer bubbles, a little bit can be added to your recipe. Some people equal bubbles with cleansing but it's not really true. ;) I've added it to my recipe to get rid off sliminess a bit.
My 0 cleansing soap bubbles fine and IMO cleans well but it's not cleansing as soaps with CO. I made this recipe particularly for my face as CO made it super dry.

Thanks a lot for that, explained quite a lot of things. Tried a lemongrass and rhubarb and custard fragranced oil. Nice smell :) will be cutting it later on. Hope it turns out ok

Latest posts

Back