Christmas 2014

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relle is slacking on the countdown.

Ah, well, can't do everything, life happens outside of SMF. The castile is waiting patiently and Christmas will arrive eventually.

37 weeks to go
happy-reindeer-smiley-emoticon.gif

No, it's personal preference. I prefer a long, long cure ( well over a year) because I don't care for the feel of olive or the lather. I remember one person said she only cures them 3 months, some people feel Castile is good to go at 6 months. I suggest you test a sample at 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, etc and decide when you think it's cured.

Thanks Hazel. I'm new to soaping and finding it very hard not to try it before a couple weeks have gone by.

I'm going to be heretical here but soap is safe to use after all the lye is converted - so generally by the next day if the soap is gelled. If it isn't gelled, it may take a few days longer.

However, the soap isn't the best it will become plus has excess water in it. Allowing several weeks for curing, the excess water will evaporate and the soap will become milder. I've also noticed the lather becomes better in my soap but that's my recipes. Your soap might have great lather right from the start.

It's not a zombie reindeer - this what it says on the emoticon, I wanted happy.http://www.sherv.net/happy.reindeer-emoticon-1492.html

Umm...I wouldn't call the expression on this reindeer's face "happy". However, I can see a similarity to another expression which begins with the letter "h". This expression generally appeared right before the consumption of a massive bowl of 3 flavors of ice cream smothered with Hershey's chocolate syrup and Cap'n Crunch cereal. Aah! The good old days.

The eyes --and the smiles-- look like when the kids or animals would play in the Kryptonite in Smallville, and turn into Krypto-Zombie-Mutants -- They're Krypto-Deer... Krypto-Deer that just noticed a potential victim and smiled.

Oh dear, a newbie found this thread!!!

Now I'm inspired to make castile soap for Christmas gifts, too. Except for I can only let it cure for 10.5 months and hope the recipient will let it lay around for a few months so it can be a better bar of soap.

At least now I'll know what to give most people on my list for the holidays, soap, lotion bars and lip balm!

I need to build up my stock again! I had out of town company this week and I wanted to give them some soaps, but realized I'm running low on pretty soaps! I have lots and lots of ragged ends and chunks, etc.

Of course, I put out the basket of pretty soaps but forgot to tell people they were there, so I still have some. I think I want to start making summer and patriotic soaps now.

How about taking the chunks and making a 'chunk' soap or confetti soap?

Now I'm inspired to make castile soap for Christmas gifts, too. Except for I can only let it cure for 10.5 months and hope the recipient will let it lay around for a few months so it can be a better bar of soap.

The length of time for curing castile is personal preference. Some people only cure for 4 weeks, others 6 - 8 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, etc. I cure castile for 1+ year. ;) You could cut a bar up and test at specific intervals to see what you prefer.

Latest posts

Back