Castor Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

musiccitysuds

Reaction score
So it's time for a batch of "clean out the cabinet," and I have a quick castor question. I'm completely out of coconut oil and was wondering if castor makes a good 1:1 replacement. I've played around with it in smaller quantities, but not in bigger batches. I'll definitely be using palm and olive. Also have a little left of the following (maybe a combo of castor and one of these would make a good coconut replacement?): avocado, wheat germ, jojoba, sweet almond, sunflower
(Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I'm search-function challenged today.)

Castor..

Castor is my favorite oil because of the bubbly, sudsy...etc properties but absolutely no Hardness or Cleansing properties, so remember if your going to start substituting oils...soap calc is your friend because you'll have to run them all through there in order to maintain the properties you wish to save.
Jerry S

Castor isn't a good 1:1 sub for CO and too much can make a very sticky bar.

Maybe try

60% palm
30% olive
10% castor

and try adding 1T PPO white granulated sugar to help the bubbles. Just dissolve the sugar completely into the water before you add the lye.

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. The only thing that worries me is soapcalc puts the cleansing properties at 1. Should I be concerned?

Soapcalc shows a 50/50 bar of Coconut Oil and Castor Oil being a decent bar and I was tempted to try it but I've read on here it hasn't worked, so I guess there's more to it than pure science?

Soapcalc shows a 50/50 bar of Coconut Oil and Castor Oil being a decent bar and I was tempted to try it but I've read on here it hasn't worked, so I guess there's more to it than pure science?

This post is 7 years old. Please don’t pull old threads up. Start a new one and link to the old thread if it’s relevant. Thanks!

Soap calc doesn't give you info on all the oils properties. Too much castor can make a bar soft and not lather well. 5-10% is the amount generally used.

Palm kernel flakes are a good replacement for coconut oil. I don't use over 8% Castor oil.

This post is 7 years old. Please don’t pull old threads up. Start a new one and link to the old thread if it’s relevant. Thanks!
Now I understand why you mentioned that to me the other day.. It's funny, though, bc I never think to look at the date when posts are listed on a page- I just assumed that they are all newish.. newbie question-how do you link to a thread?

Now I understand why you mentioned that to me the other day.. It's funny, though, bc I never think to look at the date when posts are listed on a page- I just assumed that they are all newish.. newbie question-how do you link to a thread?
I will copy and paste what's showing on my browser.. The https or www link.. Dunno if there's an easier way hehe

I have, since joining, not pulled up an old thread randomly so I wonder sometimes how people come across them lol is it when searching for something specific?

I will copy and paste what's showing on my browser.. The https or www link.. Dunno if there's an easier way hehe

I have, since joining, not pulled up an old thread randomly so I wonder sometimes how people come across them lol is it when searching for something specific?

Oh, forehead smack!! I never thought of copy/paste for the url, lol!! Too early in the morning (just before 7am), and no coffee yet!

As for the old posts, sometimes I scroll down, thinking they are all new.. the bottom of my screen shows this::

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181209-065341_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181209-065341_Chrome.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 8
Oh, forehead smack!! I never thought of copy/paste for the url, lol!! Too early in the morning (just before 7am), and no coffee yet!

As for the old posts, sometimes I scroll down, thinking they are all new.. the bottom of my screen shows this::

LOL gumornin!! It's almost bedtime for me though so gunyt as well :D

Mine shows that too, but they never change so it never occurred to me to click because I assumed they weren't current, not being on the first or second page lol

LOL gumornin!! It's almost bedtime for me though so gunyt as well :D

Mine shows that too, but they never change so it never occurred to me to click because I assumed they weren't current, not being on the first or second page lol

And g'night, sweet dreams!! I mostly click when it's late at night and I can't sleep.. hahaha

The date of the threads are on the top left hand side of the screen above the name. If you click on New Posts at the top of the screen, that gives you the current ones, sometimes people go back through old posts when reading and don't look at the date when replying and then they will come up as new posts.
upload_2018-12-10_16-59-25.png

I'm locking this thread now, so no more replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back