Castile question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalziel

Reaction score
I saw a recipe for castile it was

40 oz olive oil
5 oz lye
14 oz H2O

does this sound right and what type of bar would it make?

1. won't comment on the lye amount. never ever ever count on a "recipe" you got anywhere to have the correct amount of lye. please use your favorite lye calculator to check the amount. soapcalc.com is online and free.

2. that is a very low lye concentration. for a castile I'd recommend AT LEAST a 30% conc, even for a beginner.

3. castile soaps are not for everyone. they need to cure at least 6 weeks (12 is better, even longer is mo' better!). you will eventually end up with a hard white bar that is very mild but doesn't produce much lather and gets slimy if you leave it in a damp area or sitting in any water. but a good very gentle soap for folks with sensitive skin.

castile is a great place for beginners to start learning the process, but I can't say that the resulting soap is exciting...

I changed my recipe to:

80% EVOO
20% coconut76

which equals, in grams to:

344.73g H2o
124.99g lye
6.4 coconut
25.6 EVOO

(through soap calc) I dont mind the long cure time, I was also thinking of trying to substitute the water with a Green Tea infusion. Not sure what EO/FO to use. any advice or tips?

thanks!

Dalz

I'd still cut the water somehwat. you want at least a 30% lye solution if not more. For 30% you would need 291 grams of water.

why does the soap calc have 38% as default? Is 30% good to use on all types of batches or only cast?

what will 38 vs 30 do to the soap? slower trace, longer cure? since this is my first batch im not really experienced it the difference, nor what to expect. I am a bit nervous so its taking some time- courage building, recipe overhaul, reading. I dont want my first batch to be a complete kerfuffle.

thanks for the advice and tips!

Dalz

soap

hi there!

not stepping on this thread, but carebear knows what she's talking about!
great mentor! i appreciate all the time she takes with me!

Dalziel said:
why does the soap calc have 38% as default? Is 30% good to use on all types of batches or only cast?

what will 38 vs 30 do to the soap? slower trace, longer cure? since this is my first batch im not really experienced it the difference, nor what to expect. I am a bit nervous so its taking some time- courage building, recipe overhaul, reading. I dont want my first batch to be a complete kerfuffle.

thanks for the advice and tips!

Dalz
The 38% is the "water as % of oils". I'm recommending a LYE CONCENTRATION of 30% - it's third box down in that section: "lye concentration" - check the box and then type in 30 there.

So I'm recommending you use LESS water than you have posted, which will speed trace a bit, and speed the cure a bit. I actually do MY castile soaps at 40-45% lye concentrations.

Beginning soapers should, except for castile, probably use a 27% - 28% lye concentration which is generally the default on soapcalc.

I have a question to add to this as I am thinking of making my first CP soap and thought I'd start with a castile, unscented and undyed. I was just wondering how long it will need to cure, and how will I be able to tell if it's done?
I usually do HP and do the tongue test, LOL

Recipes very high in olive oil do best with an 8-24 week cure period - depending on how much water you use, your own tolerance for low lather and high slime potential, and your patience.

I'd recommend simply trying it every two weeks to see what you think.

Back