Castile: Gel or No?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gel. Becoz it is a PITA if i had to ungel and forced my wooden mold into my already cramped freezer.
I also like the feel of gelled soaps better. They harden up quickly and nicely.

I get slightly (I mean very slightly) whiter results if I don't gel them. I almost always gel but not my castile. That's not to say I don't mind a creamier or buttery colour, I'm just trying for stark white. This pic shows a batch where the thicker soap gelled accidently and the olive mould one didn't. You can just see the tiny difference.

castile colour dif.jpg

Forgot to add, another thing i dislike with ungelled soaps, it always came wet out of the freezer. Gotta leave it at least a day to harden up, otherwise my wire cutter is a mess.

Ungelled, but only because my very first batch was a partial gel and I am a big pansy. I am afraid that if I try to get something to gel I will either get partial or a volcano.

Ungelled, but only because my very first batch was a partial gel and I am a big pansy. I am afraid that if I try to get something to gel I will either get partial or a volcano.

Miranda, you might like CPOP. I haven't had any luck just insulating; I always get partial gel. CPOP takes the uncertainty away. I freeze if I don't want gel and CPOP if I do.

I've only ever made one batch of Castile (ungelled) and it's about 9 months old now and I can't stand the lather of it. Will it get less icky when it's fully matured? Would gelling have made a difference in helping to reduce the sliminess of it? Does long term curing help any with that? If so, how many centuries should I leave it to cure before it becomes somewhat appealing to use? LOL

Miranda, you might like CPOP. I haven't had any luck just insulating; I always get partial gel. CPOP takes the uncertainty away. I freeze if I don't want gel and CPOP if I do.

I think I am going to get brave and try it once we get my new oils here. We have decided to start buying in bulk, so I am not running to the grocery store every five minutes and paying so much more. Once I do that I will see what happens. :shifty:

Back