Can you use those pretty silicone moulds in CP soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missmoneypenny

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and have made 3 batches so far, all hardened off in a paper- lined Tupperware. I gather some moulds are only really suitable for M&P, so does it mean the long block molds are the only realistic ones for CP? Or do the silicone ones work too? Sorry if this is posted in wrong section.

I use wooden log or slab molds either lined with freezer paper or silicone liners that fit my molds. You can use almost anything as a mold, don't use metal or glass though. Shoe box, tupperware, drawer dividers, pringles cans.

Silicone is great for CP soap molds.

Try DIY happy on Etsy for some really cute ones. They are not expensive. You can also get mulitiple cavity molds in the bargain section at Target sometimes. The silicone is thin but they work and they don't cost much.

Thanks for the tips I ll check Etsy out. I ll probably mostly make blocks but it would be nice to vary and make other shapes sometimes. I'm going to try a Savon de Marseille type HP soap in a Tropicana carton, to get the nice big cubic blocks.

I use silicone molds most of the time. I have a couple of square multicavity molds from Brambleberry. They're thin and look like they wouldn't hold up, but I've been using them for at least 4 batches a week for about a year and a half, and they're as good as brand new.

I also use silicone molds for my hot process. it works just fine, I only have one though. am in the midst of getting more.....fancy. lol. the one I use I got off of amazon for 7 bucks and its a loaf pan. its the easiest way of getting the soap in, I chop it up when I take it out of the mold, I don't sell it so I just freehand the cuts

Silicone is great for CP soap molds.

Try DIY happy on Etsy for some really cute ones. They are not expensive. You can also get mulitiple cavity molds in the bargain section at Target sometimes. The silicone is thin but they work and they don't cost much.

I'v never been able to find this Etsy store. Got a link, Judy?

I use wooden log or slab molds either lined with freezer paper or silicone liners that fit my molds. You can use almost anything as a mold, don't use metal or glass though. Shoe box, tupperware, drawer dividers, pringles cans.

Why not glass? Is the concern with cracking, or getting it out of the mold? I used a glass loaf pan for my second batch, and everything seemed to turn out OK, just not fond of the very round edges.

I use the single cavity molds from Bramble Berry, and have many made for baking by Freshware, they work great for CP. I also use the 5l b silicone log liner from Bramble Berry, and their smaller 10" silicone loaf. I really love silicone. You are better off with thin silicone, I have one mold that is so well made, but too thick, it takes forever for them to be ready. When I pour the individual molds it can be a challenge if you are using something that heats up, like goat milk or beer. When I do those I don't discount the water, and pour fast.

Squyars, because of the potential of glass breaking or etching (because of the caustic nature of lye) some don't use glass anything (lye mixing, soap bowl, etc) in the soap making process.

Thanks everyone, especially oliveoil2 that is very informative. It sounds like one is better off with thin silicone moulds, is that just for ease of getting the soaps out, or is it something to do with the heating up during saponification?I have seen soem pretty silicone moulds in my local kitchen shop, I might take the plunge, buy one and try it out.

I have several silicone molds that I use, from (bread) loaf pans to palm sized shapes to 1" flowers. I love them all! I always look for silicone molds and bake ware at thrift stores, garage sales etc.

If you have a hobby Lobby in your area you can always download a 40% off coupon, they do it almost every week. Then go to the cake baking section for nice silicone molds. This is where I got my first molds for super cheap so I could try them.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I use both silicone loaf pans and silicone cavity moulds. I'm always on the lookout for more cute ones!

ETA: I cannot cut straight to save my life, so I usually keep the loaf slices for our own use.
One day I'll get a proper rectangle mould and cutter. I just can't justify the space (small home) nor the money as I soap for fun, not profit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back