Can you recover a separated bacth?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeltlineYYC

Reaction score
Well, from the looks of things, I've got not just one but two separated batches on my hands here! I made two batches on the weekend and both of them volcanoed in the molds, and last night I unmolded and cut them to find they had separated. I've got big globs of veg shortening marbling the soap, but the soap passes the zap test.

So now I'm wondering if I can do anything with these batches, or if I should just toss 'em out and try again. If I can save them I'd like to, since I used some very nice beeswax in them. The plus side is that I've figured out from the volcanoes and separation that I'm clearly mixing too hot, so at least I learned something from this mess.

Yep if they aren't zappy rebatch is option . Some people hate doing it and results are often not really pretty but chop up very small chunks or grate soap up. Several ways to heat double boiler crockpot or microwave when it gets kinda vasaline like glop into mold quick start hardening back up in a hurry. Depending on how fresh soap is might not need much liquid added as it melts.

I rebatch all the time if a soap doesn't work out for me. It's true you have to be very creative to get a decent looking soap afterwards. The last one I did I used cubes and placed soap curls on top.

Let us know how it turns out.

You could also cut it up into bits, cubes and chunks and make curls out of it to embed into other batches.

How much separtation? If its only a small amount of oil the bars might reabsorb the oil. If its a large amount the oils really need to be added back into the soap by rebatching.

Ive had it once, with an inch thick layer of oil on the top. I discovered it about 30 mins after pour, so just stick blended it back together and saved it. If your soaps still really soft it wont take much to save :D

Uh oh... one of the batches turned out zappy after all. BIG pockets of undisolved lye showed up when I started to cut it into little pieces. :( Will rebatching help that at all, or is it time for the bin?

Latest posts

Back