Can you help me check my math?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Hey, I hope you don't mind my posting here. You're welcome to move it, if you do. My reason is I'm about to make some soap, and I'm hoping for a quick answer.

Math isn't my strong suit. I am creating a blend of EOs for my next batch of soap. Going off of a suggestion from Lindy in another post, I'm going with the ratio:

Top, middle, and base notes, at 4:2:1. I'm assuming this could be translated into "parts," so to speak.

So, if I am using four different EOs, two of them being middle notes (one is lavender, so I do know it's rather interchangeable, here, and I am indeed fine with it being a stronger proportion, if that seems right to you guys).

I'm rounding the numbers a bit, here. But, does this sound relatively right?

Using 1.5 ounces of total EOs, I get:

Top: .85 ounces
Middle: .21 ounces
Middle: .22 ounces
Base: .22 ounces

Thank you in advance for any responses on this subject.

My math isn't great, either, but my calculator works well. And this looks good to me. You must have a more accurate scale than mine. It only rounds to the nearest .2 oz.

Nope. I don't have a scale any more accurate than yours. Sad, I know. However, this was the math, so I'm going from that. I've learned to kind of feel an estimate while adding, to the approximate .01 ounce. I should probably just round them all to the nearest .1, to make it easier on myself. : )

Thank you ever so much!!

Looks good to me. I put the math below in case others in the future would like a visual. I would work in grams, though, if precision is needed.

For a 4:2:1 ratio

4+2+1 = 7 parts total
1.5oz / 7 parts =.214oz per part
4*.214oz = .856oz (round to .86)
2*.214oz= .428oz (round to.43) and then divide amongst your middle notes as you wish
1*.214oz= 214oz (round to .21)

the visual sure helps a lot Kersten . i never paid much mind to ratios , i just did it somewhat on the fly and according to the how the smell holds me . i do keep a record of measured amount but never did a proper ratio. this helps me understand it and be a little more precise in my formulation .
good question lotus !

again : thank you for the visual

the visual sure helps a lot Kersten . i never paid much mind to ratios , i just did it somewhat on the fly and according to the how the smell holds me . i do keep a record of measured amount but never did a proper ratio. this helps me understand it and be a little more precise in my formulation .
good question lotus !

again : thank you for the visual

I'm so glad it helped :)

Kerstan, thank you so much!

I would love to use grams, actually, but, I find that converting the now ounces that I currently into grams, creates equally difficult numbers to realize. I don't know where to start. Granted, I would say, "Hey, I make batches with 50 ounces of oils, which converts to 1417.48." So obviously, I'm not going to make my batches be exactly 50 ounces converted to grams. I would find a good round number like 1500 grams. But, since all of my recipes are so far worked out in ounces, I'm having a hard time letting my brain recognize grams as a viable unit of measurement.

Do you know what I mean? So, maybe I make batches with

It is definitly a pain converting a bunch of recipes to grams! I had quite few old formulas from years ago that I had to convert *ugh* took forever. But I do like that I can measure more precisely with grams (I can get pretty anal with my measurements ;-)), and I find the metric system so much easier to manipulate, too.

Ha! I just realized I started a sentence unended. Sad, I know, but, again, I'm extremely intoxicated. Yet, I think you get my point. You get me, it is indeed difficult, converting that mess of measurements. Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back