Can this be used?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a friend gave me a container of inSPAration RX crystals. it is spa and bath aromatherapy she uses in her hot tub.
she asked if i could make a bar soap with it. i cant find anything out there. looking at the ingredient list i see it has epsom and solar sea salt.

has anyone attempted this??
1687786902347.png

a friend gave me a container of inSPAration RX crystals. it is spa and bath aromatherapy she uses in her hot tub.
she asked if i could make a bar soap with it. i cant find anything out there. looking at the ingredient list i see it has epsom and solar sea salt.

has anyone attempted this??
View attachment 73276

Knowing my own friends, when they say, "can you make a soap from this" what they really mean is, "can you make a soap that SMELLS like this," or "can you make a soap that makes my skin feel like this." I recommend that you interview your friend to learn what they like most about it.

Knowing my own friends, when they say, "can you make a soap from this" what they really mean is, "can you make a soap that SMELLS like this," or "can you make a soap that makes my skin feel like this." I recommend that you interview your friend to learn what they like most about it.
she likes everything about it. the way it makes her skin feel, the color and especially the scent. knowing that salt bars are on my to-do list she thought she'd "help" and give me more ideas. i love this about her. i really do. she's my "test dummy" on just about every soap i make.

Short answer, no you cannot make salt bars with Epson salt, there are too many minerals in Epson salt which will result in heavy sweating of your bars and chances are you will end up with none of the fragrance. According to the ingredient list, it mentions also being infused with additional minerals unless they mean the minerals included in the Epson salts. So no, I would not waste good ingredients using this product.

Short answer, no you cannot make salt bars with Epson salt, there are too many minerals in Epson salt which will result in heavy sweating of your bars and chances are you will end up with none of the fragrance. According to the ingredient list, it mentions also being infused with additional minerals unless they mean the minerals included in the Epson salts. So no, I would not waste good ingredients using this product.
thank you. that was my thoughts too. i'm going to try to recreate for her the scent and color with pink himalayan salt im thinking

thank you. that was my thoughts too. i'm going to try to recreate for her the scent and color with pink himalayan salt im thinking
Pink Himalayan salt works well when it is dissolved in a bath, but in soap, is very sharp and can really scratch the skin to the point of bleeding. Some folks still use it for decoration on top because it looks so pretty, but it really isn't recommended. Sorry!

Pink Himalayan salt works well when it is dissolved in a bath, but in soap, is very sharp and can really scratch the skin to the point of bleeding. Some folks still use it for decoration on top because it looks so pretty, but it really isn't recommended. Sorry!
I read that somewhere. i was thinking to put in in the spice grinder first for the quantity in the soap. then sprinkle some on top for decoration.

I read that somewhere. i was thinking to put in in the spice grinder first for the quantity in the soap. then sprinkle some on top for decoration.
I have been able to use finely-ground Himalayan Sea Salt (from Costco) in my salt bars with no problems. Others here have experienced that it is too sharp no matter how finely they grind it. 😞

I have been able to use finely-ground Himalayan Sea Salt (from Costco) in my salt bars with no problems. Others here have experienced that it is too sharp no matter how finely they grind it. 😞
hubby wants a salt bar. he uses a poppy seed one i made for him regularly. mechanic with rough skin, what can you do. but he pays for my supplies lol so ill make whatever he asks for! beer soap coming soon too!

Thats even worse, I sliced my chest open with pink salt I ground at home. I tried fine pink once, it was like rubbing sand on my body.
Use plain sea salt or canning salt and color the batter pink.

I really like cream of wheat for scrubby soap. I've used fine pumice before and its too fine. Poppy seeds are too smooth.

Oops, that was cream of wheat I used, not cornmeal. Edited to fix

Last edited:
Thats even worse, I sliced my chest open with pink salt I ground at home. I tried fine pink once, it was like rubbing sand on my body.
Use plain sea salt or canning salt and color the batter pink.

I really like cornmeal for scrubby soap. I've used fine pumice before and its too fine. Poppy seeds are too smooth, ground they are too sharp lol.
thanks for the advice

You can always sprinkle some on top for the finishing touch!
Personally speaking, I was worried about the scratchiness of salt stirred into the soap batter so I opted for the brine solution (dissolving salt in water first, then mixing in the lye), but I would be willing to bet you would lose the scent if you did it that way with the inSPAration therapy salts 🤷🏼‍♀️

@Shelley D I'd be careful about adding any product like that to solid bar soap, even as a top decoration. Most of those will contain Epsom salts, and may also contain Dead Sea Salt, neither of which are compatible with bar soap due to their high mineral content - all the stuff we try to avoid by using distilled water. They can also contain fragrances that are incompatible with bar soap in terms of ricing, accelerating, overheating, separating, etc.

That's not to say you can't experiment if you'd like - just do it with your eyes open, and make small test batches to see what happens. :)

Latest posts

Back