Can I use this color?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDebby

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I cannot find this on the internet, maybe one of you smart people can help me out:
I've been gifted a set of colors. The label says food save, but I've been told it should be safe for soap as well.
I never heard of anything like that and it makes me question how save it is overall to use.

So far I've found: https://www.amazon.de/Seifenfarbe-H...Lippenbalsame-Lebensmittelfarbe/dp/B081R7DL85

I really appreciate the help!

It seems like it will be safe but it doesn't sound like its PH stable.
The first review mentions how the color doesn't stay the same in lye soap.
Best to test each color out and see how it morphs

If you are making melt & pour soap, these will probably be fine. If you are making cold-process or hot-process soap, I agree with Obsidian that based on the first review shown, the color is likely to morph when it comes in contact with the caustic soda (aka lye, an alkali).

Thanks for looking into it. It seems odd if a colour would be safe for food AND soap.
Not sure if I dare to make food with it though.
Also there are no ingredients mentioned anywhere or the packaging or a brand.

Yeah, I wouldn't use it in food but I have used regular food coloring in soap.
Honestly I personally would never would want to use any color or scent not made for soap. It's just safer that way. I wouldn't want to make a soap that stains the skin. I don't think that food safe and skin safe are the same.

Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back