Can I use a cardboard milk container??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
So this might be a really stupid question, I tried searching and I couldn't find anything about it, but could I use a cardboard milk container to pour soap into?
I've been slowly gathering ingredients to try my first batch, and I just don't have the money to spend $60 on a real wood soap mold.
If I can use it, do I need to line it with freezer paper?
I was going to try a simple 1lb. batch recipe out of 'The Everything Soapmaking Book'.

I've used the one quart cardboard cartons that half and half comes in with no problems. It bulged a touch but was otherwise perfectly fine. I never reused them, so didn't line it. I just tore the carton off the soap, so can't comment on that.

I use quart containers frequently. I never reuse them and once in a while I will use baby oil on them. They do bulge a little but still no big problems.

I've used milk cartons before, too. I'm in Australia so I have no idea what you mean by quarts, etc :lol: :oops: but I've used a 1 litre carton and it worked really well. Same as Newbie, I also didn't line it, found it bulged a bit (but I trimmed the sides & rolled the trimmings into soap balls), and also had to tear it off the soap. They make great, cheap moulds, though! :)

I'm a newbie and have the same book. That's the same recipe I started with. My husband made me a soap mold using the instructions in the book and it only cost about $8 for materials. You don't have to buy an expensive mold.

But, you need to have the wood working tools.... And the skill to do it.... Neither of which I have.... I bought siicone no line molds on Ebay and love them..... When I started, I used discarded boxes from work and ones I found at Walmart that were empty in the grocery isles....Just lined them with baggies.... Made great soap... Still have the photo's...

Back