can fragrance be skin drying?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrWho19

Reaction score
Has any one had this problem before? I made a recipe as usual with 25% palm, 25% coconut, 10% sesame and 40% olive oil. I had 35% water discount and 5% superfat. I used 10ml mango oil fragrance (cosmetic grade) for 1000ml of oils. I just tried a little sample i had left after the bars were cut, its now 2 weeks old and it feels very drying to my skin. I used this recipe many times before, with all the same ingredients (except the fragrance) and it worked like a charm, but this time the bars came out very drying. So the only culprit i could think of is the mango fragrance? Could it be so?

I've made a fluid glycerine soap, and have added different FO's to some of it.
It feels like it is a bit drying on my hands, but the natural part without FO does not feel drying.
So yes, I think some FO's can.

I do not use fragrance oils so cannot comment on the fragrant oils but I use essential oils and found out that some can be drying. I used the same base oils and tried different small batches and found that the ones with peppermint were drying and those with Vetiver were not!

Back