calling europe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum, earger to start. Problem is cant get lye here in Slovenia and finding it hard to get anyone to deliver. Has anyone got any info that will help?Or maybe anyone in countrys near by? If it comes to it I am prepared to drive a long distance at this stage.
help pleeeeeeese.

Hi BobBoo
Can't you get it in your hardware store? It is just drain cleaner, surely all countries need their drains cleaning from time to time?
Good luck with your quest!

Can you use just drain cleaner from the hardware store? I thought it had other stuff in it that made it no good to use.

As long as it is 98% (or higher if you can get it), it should be ok.
Tip for Australian soapers. I went into Bunnings warehouse, they have 2kg of caustic soda for $12.95.

Try your local pharmacy. I live in Austria (which is more or less next to you :lol: ) and here you can get NaOH powder in any pharmacy. If you pm me I can get you a German supplier who might ship NaOH to Slovenia as well.
They charge 4,90 Euros per kg.

Thanks everyone,
The drain cleaners here have very little NaOh in them.
Its highly regulated here.
Viki I PMed you thanks alot, can you get boric acid there too?

Thanks everyone,
NaOh is highly regulated here and there is only a small percentage in the drain cleaners.
Viki I sent you a PM, thanks for that. Can you get potassium hyroxide and boric acid in Austria too?
Thanks again

Yes, sure you can get potassium hydroxide (if this is this KOH)- it is just more expensive than the NaOH. The German seller sells KOH for 5,50/kg, in the pharmacy they charge around 10 Euro if I remember correctly.

Hi Viki,
sorry for posting twice, I am on dail up and it keeps disconecting. I meant borax, Seen it in a recipe for liquid soap and homemade washing powder.
KOH is what I meant.
Thanks

Yes, you can get borax there as well, but I don't remember the price. You also get baking soda at a reasonable price there. Don't buy the one from the supermarket, it's too expensive.

booboo said:
Hi,
I am new to this forum, earger to start. Problem is cant get lye here in Slovenia and finding it hard to get anyone to deliver. Has anyone got any info that will help?Or maybe anyone in countrys near by? If it comes to it I am prepared to drive a long distance at this stage.
help pleeeeeeese.

Hi and Welcome! My family is from Slovania...grandfather is Slavik. Would love to get over there some day! Where are you?

Hi,
We live near Pyuj, We love it here, been here a year.Its so beautiful.The people are so friendly and helpfull. See you have goats, would love to have a couple, maybe next year,as we still have so much work to do on the house and land. Where you born here?

Back