calculating unlisted oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
how do you calculate oils in a recipe when they are not listed on soapcalc?

What are the fats? edit: Someone here might have information about them or know where to find that. :end edit

Do you have any idea of the saponification value for each fat? If you do, then find a fat that IS in the soap recipe calc with the same sap value. Use that fat as a "stand in" for calculating the lye amount.

For example the fat in an egg yolk has about the same sap value as canola oil, so I enter 5 grams of canola for every 1 egg yolk in my recipe. Canola is my "stand in" for egg fat.

If you don't have any idea of the sap value, then you're going to have to find some resource that can provide that. Or do the testing yourself to determine the sap value. Most people aren't in a position to do the testing, so the most practical solution is to do some google searches for the saponification value of your fat. Bear in mind there can be multiple common names for a particular fat, so it might take some digging.

Last edited:
In addition to DeeAnna's advice, also look on some other soap/lye calculators. Some oils are not included on all calculators. (Example: Brambleberry's calculator does not list Crisco or Great Value Shortening, but many others do.)

Latest posts

Back