Calculating goat milk fat on Soapcalc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseb

Reaction score
I'm using all goat milk instead of water in my recipe. How do I determine the fat % on soapcalc? Do I just put in my ounces of liquid? That doesn't seem right to me because we are talking about fat not liquid...I'm so confused. Thanks!

Milk is not all fat. Do you know what percent of butterfat is in the milk you are using? If from your own goats have you had it tested?
I just use my milk as the liquid and do not change my formula. If you are concerned just drop your superfat by one percent, as long as this doesen't put you at to low a level. But I think you should do a batch without the change first.

Gosh, I wish they were my own goats! They belong to a friend and I'll have to ask her if she has had it tested.

Sistrum-- it seems from what you are saying is figure out your favorite recipe, and then calculate in, say 5% B.Fat guessing that is what your B.Fat level is, into the recipe, and simply exchange the milk for your water, and you are all set to go???

What I'm trying to say is just make your soap as if adding water and don't worry about the fat in the goat milk. What little bit is there probably just makes up for,the amount of oil that gets left in the containers used to measure,and or melt, the oils we use.

I have calculated it because my milk provider knows the % fat of her goat milk (which varies with season) and it turned out to be around 1% extra super fat. That is replacing all of the water with milk. This is going to change a little depending on season, the types of goats, and your water (milk) discount.

I try to stick to the KISS system, so I just use the GM without refiguring. The fat in it is not enough to cause any problems.

I try to stick to the KISS system, so I just use the GM without refiguring. The fat in it is not enough to cause any problems.

+1.

However, unlike goat's milk, coconut milk is about 50% fat by weight and I do calculate the amount of fat when using coconut milk. The amount by grams is listed on the can so it's easy enough to do.

Latest posts

Back