Budget molds and swirl attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmd439

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to share my photos of my first swirl attempt along with my stand-in slab mold. I had been wanting a slab mold but am not ready to buy one for $50+. I was trying to think of what I could substitute that would be able to stand up to the lye. I read somewhere you could use plastic buckets with the Recycle #4 or 5 to mix the soap, so I thought these would work for a mold also. I used one of the Rubbermaid drawer organizer as my mold. It turned out pretty well, except I don't have the professional dividers so I had to cut the soap with a dough cutter.

The next thing was I wanted to try a green swirl, but all I had was kelp which turned out ok. I think my biggest problem was I poured at too light of a trace because I was worried about ending up with soap on a stick (which happened last time I tried to swirl and I ended up stick blending my soap chunk all together with the rest of the soap). Here are the pics.

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz10 ... 1_83/Soap/

Oooh! They look fantastic! You did a great job. My first swirl attempt looked horrible...so did my second, third, fourth, fifth, etc attempts. :lol:

The bottom right one in the third picture reminds me of howlite.

they look great! and fantastic thinking outside the square finding a suitable mould.

Latest posts

Back